PC snide remarks

Reaction score
Ok, I am receiving my very first mac today, and I have told a few people (since i ordered it) that I have a mac coming bla bla bla. Their response is snide, and rude (IMO). Then they wait for me to explain myself like I need to, it just leads to an awkward situation. My question is what do you say (politely) when people respond negatively towards your Mac? I will have mine in a PC dominated environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
If they ask why you ordered a Mac, I reply It just works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I simply explain to them that I am open minded enough to know that there is more than just Windows out there. Then I ask them why they would want to lock themselves into one system, especially one that is prone to security exploits, viruses and spyware. 9 times out of 10 it shuts them up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I would reply... "ok fine... if you really want me to run windows, then YOU pay for a new Dell for me, because I refuse to continue to waste my money on it... if not.. My money and I will make our own decisions thank you."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
The Windows PC dominates in every environment and unfortunately Windows users, and some Mac users, find it necessary that they make fun of/berate users of different systems. Macs are seen as a machine that can only do graphics when in actuality a Mac can do everything a Windows machine can do.

I try to keep it short when I am approached with a rude PC user and I generally just say that it's my decision to use a Mac just as it is theirs to use a Windows PC. Your decision to use a Mac shouldn't cause anyone else to act in a rude way, after all you don't act rude to them for their poor choice in an OS. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
I would reply... "ok fine... if you really want me to run windows, then YOU pay for a new Dell for me, because I refuse to continue to waste my money on it... if not.. My money and I will make our own decisions thank you."

that is so true for me and fits my personality. I have been on Windows since DOS days back in the 80s. I moved to linux (about 1 year ago), and I have been fascinated with Macs for years, been scared to move, and now I am able to make the choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
After having used a Mac now for a little over two years after coming from the Linux/Windows dominated world, I can now understand a few things.

* We love our Macs. Not just like them, or prefer them, or think they're okay. I mean, genuine affection for the little powerful machines.

* I can kind of get how Windows users might consider us a bit pretentious. It's hard not to be when you're getting work and play done while they're cussing and banging their fists on the desk.

* When stuff happens with Windows, such as the latest virus/worm, or shenanigans MS likes to pull with Vista DRM, or SPX or whatever it might be, I just don't care. For my job, yes, but personally I don't care.

* Insults about MacOS X and Macs in general that get e-hurled from ignorant Windows users are completely ineffective. Bounce right off. I'm a what because I use a Mac? [Substitute appropriate slur here.] Okay, fine, whatever.

* I do not necessarily want all the Windows users to 'see the light' and get a Mac. Nah, we don't want them. It'd be like when AOL started to invade USENET back in the early nineties. We have our own special little club, and the cost of admission is high. We like it that way. Shoo. And take that ugly Dell with you.

There's another board I visit and every now and then a Mac related story comes up there. The comments these days are the usual "mac users are pretentious ghey metrosexuals who use overpriced hardware", but then that's quickly followed by several retorts from very recent switchers who are "I dunno dude, I just got a Macbook and it's like, the best notebook I've ever owned. I used to be like you, but now I think that's no longer the case". Of course, there's also the hardline ignoramuses who will never buy a Mac because Steve Jobs 'killd heez fadder' or some foolishness like that and take glee in spreading their crap all over the 'net. Well, you'll get those in any group. See point #4 regarding those.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am at the point I really do not care what people say or think. I love OSX and nothing will change that for me unless Apple changes things in a way that OSX does not work the way it does any longer. They can run what they want. If people push really hard I just say, "Yeah, those MAC's stink, don't run any applications, won't even get on the net." Seems to back them off in my case. People who know me know that I also have MANY Windows systems and work on them for a living and that I really like XP. It's just at the end of the day when I want to relax and do things for ME, OSX really works along with me.

Last night though I was messing with Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn on a PIII Thinkpad 600x. Worked well!

Reaction score
Honestly, I just memorize stats. Memorize the Macpro. Memorize your system stats. Understand that Windows is built on an archaic registry that is far too easy to corrupt and in doing so cripples your system. Understand that the code for Windows is bulky and takes up alot more system resources (especially Vista, yikes) than OSX does.
The more you use your Mac and the more you learn the more you understand why Macs pwn Windows. I've had similar cases and I've had similar debates (yes I debate stupid things) and I've never lost. Even against people that do know things about computers. When you're dealing with facts, its hard to refute lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't bother giving those people an audience. I just tell them to shove it and move on

Reaction score
I try to be a Mac evangelist and convert them! :) haha. Shoving stuff in your face is a terrible way to evangelize anything though. Perhaps I'm just a weiner lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
As for me, I love pointing out the differences between OSX and Windows, such as 'it just works,' virii and spyware problems are virtually non-existent, crashes are a thing of past, twenty-five second boot times, as well as 15 second shut down times, etc. etc.

Not everybody will drink the coolaid and see the light, but that's okay with me. Like mentioned above, I see Mac ownership as an exclusive club! Wow, I sound kinda snooty. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I just look at them strangely and ask if they really truly care what sort of a computer I use. And then say something like "Are you seriously getting emotional about my choice of computer hardware?"

Bah. I feel the same way about Mac users that supposedly "hate" windows or generic PCs. What the heck is the point? I surely have better things to do then waste my emotions on a piece of consumer electronics or software.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never drank any of the Jobs Cool Aid. The reason I like OSX is OSX itself. I got it, tried it, loved it. Nothing Jobs said or for that matter anyone else has said, had anything to do with my decision to use OSX. It was simply using OSX. It spoke for itself. Did not need Jobs to win me over.

Reaction score
I didn't need Jobs to switch, but I like him now. He is, after all, co createor of the beautiful tool we all use. Technically he's the single creator if you take into account that while Apple and the Woz dabbled with the Apple computer he created the Macintosh... or something like that lol.

Reaction score
Macs work. Microsoft still sells DOS masked by a Vista GUI and it comes in about six flavors. I wanted a system that works so it is OS-X for me... XP and Vista are still plagued by viruses, spyware and anything else organized crime can think up. You can lock up a Mac, by running Windows / Parallels. By the way, it isn't Parallels that causes lockup. Maybe the people that wrote Parallels should write an OS for MS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um, Vista=NT. NT is NOT DOS. Not in any way, shape or form.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Um, Vista=NT. NT is NOT DOS. Not in any way, shape or form.

That is an important distinction. The Windows 9x series of operating system ran on top of DOS. NT/2000/XP and now Vista run on the NT kernel. There is nothing left of DOS in modern versions of Windows (aside from the command prompt, which is simply a remake of the familiar DOS commands - it still runs on top of NT).

Regardless of what people say or think about Macs, usually after showing them the machine for a few minutes, it's enough to change their tune. I would just say "don't knock it until you try it".

Reaction score
Well, I can't tell you how to deal with it, but I know before I got a Mac, I used to tell people who had them that I had some paper I needed to hold down when they were done with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
I had a long-time friend ask me why i went with the MacBook, and I said "It's simple. It works... all the time." he retorted about never hearing anyone use the term "Mac Gamer" ;D I though it was a valid point, but I don't really play game much anymore. I am currently plodding through Halo on the Legendary setting just for kicks, But the Dell I have now (one year old) keeps crashing its IE... ever since the upgrade. My wife is ready for the iMac! :Evil:

I guess I'mm getting older now and I just want things to work with little fuss and not fail on me constantly! And I will pay the extra money for the attributes the Mac platform has shown me.

Christian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.