noob questions.

Reaction score
My MacBook should be arriving any minute now...the suspense is killing me ;-)

1) with previous laptops, when leaving them on 24/7 (or most of the time) I had experienced a lot of HD failure. Is that the case with Macs? Can I leave it on a lot and have it be ok?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
I leave my mac powered on all the time. When I'm not going to be using it for a while (ie - as it is traveling in my backpack from school to work, when I'm not using it at work, when I'm sleeping, etc) I have it asleep. From everything I've read and experienced, it is fine to leave the mac in sleep mode while you aren't using it, although I'm not sure about leaving it awake for long periods of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
How long can the mac actually stay in sleep mode? does it drain the battery at all?

Reaction score
I leave mine on all the time. if you have it closed it goes into sleep and I've left mine on for at the very least a week unplugged and it was still fine when I started it up again.
Sometimes I find it gets stuck in sleep and you have to powerdown and start it again. Maybe that's just mine. Who knows, its not a huge deal anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
mac's were kind of designed to never be powered off, where pc's are a lot happier if theyre off at night, or every weekend.

I left my powerbook on all the time pretty much, works great :)

OP
M
Reaction score
mac's were kind of designed to never be powered off, where pc's are a lot happier if theyre off at night, or every weekend.

I left my powerbook on all the time pretty much, works great :)

GREAT to know. In my experience, in PC world, I had many problems with leaving on all the time (except in transit obviously) ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
How long can the mac actually stay in sleep mode? does it drain the battery at all?

It will drain the battery but VERY slowly. I charge my battery when I get home from work while I am using it and unplug it when it is charged, usually going through this routine a few times during the evening, and then I keep it asleep all day. Using it randomly through out the day, with a full charge in the morning (4 minutes+), I would say that I normally have about a quarter of a battery left.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.