airport connected, No Signal from Linskys router

Reaction score
wuts up evrybdy... I am using a linskys router to connect wirelessly on my powerbook. I have just recently installed a new harddrive and reformatted the os. With my factory set osx install I was able to obtain a full strength connection signal on my powerbook. Now that I have installed tiger, I get no love from the router, no signal at all. I scan and rescan for an available network and it doesn't list any options let alone LINSKYS. I am on a macbook pro online wirelessly with a full strength connection right now as I type this. I am literally a foot away from the powerbook, this tells me a network is available. I reset modem/router and am getting a good signal out of both. Why does my powerbook not recognize the network. does anybdy have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong or not doing at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Did you turn on the Airport itself for networking on the PowerBook after installing the new drive/OS? I think it's in the Network Prefs Pane, you need to enable the airport as an interface, just like Ethernet or USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Was your router set up to not broadcast it's SSID before you re-installed ? Maybe you should reset the router to it's default settings Mine has a little button on the back so it can be reset to factory defaults

OP
M
Reaction score
I have an internal airport, does this also need to be enabled as I would an external airport. If my router was set up to not broadcast it's ssid it wasn't intentional. so just reset then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it does. You need to enable it just like you would the Ethernet port. There is a setting in the Network Pane that you need to check to make sure that it is enabled.

OP
M
Reaction score
I enabled airport( I think). I reset router. router indicates power on/connection/internet/wireless all active. Powebook communicating with airport. still no networks available. yet here I am sitting right next to the powerbook, me on a macbook and online with the same network I am trying to join w/powerbook. what am I not doing, and how should I do it. plz help me, I'm on the edge haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open up Safari and let it run the Internet Connect utility (I think that's what it is called). If there is an incorrect setting, it should find it and fix it.

You may actually have to reboot the Mac if you enabled the Airport setting, I've had this issue on my iBook before too.

OP
M
Reaction score
Does internet connect utility run automatically? I cant seem to find the option thruout the menus... then again I have recently learned I am stupid, very very stupid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usually when Safari can't find it's home page or get on-line, it offers to Open the Internet Connect Utility. That's what I was referring too.

OP
M
Reaction score
is it "search diagnostics?" I used this and it asked me a series of questions and brought me thru screens asking if I have used this mac online b4 etc. The icon next to airport is active and the prompt asks me to select an airport network, but no networks are available. but I kno ther is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never heard of "search diagnostics". Unfortunately, I'm not near either of my Macs right now, so I'm not sure I can help much more.

Just for the sake of asking, do the network settings match between the 2 Macs? Are they set to DHCP etc?

OP
M
Reaction score
it is also saying "aiport settings:failed", "network settings:failed", "ISP:failed", internet :failed, server:failed. it says this one by one on a vertical check list w/ red or green bullet points next to (1 green the rest red)

OP
M
Reaction score
ohhh, good call. I'll check. Thank you so much for all the help. I'll keep going at it and let you kno thru the posts. still, I'd (obviously)value and apply any advice you'd have to offer. thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.