Mobility - Windows PC or Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Hello,

Im after a laptop that i can easily carry around with me, run off the battery and use from class-to-class.

For this, am i best off getting a Windows based laptop or a Macbook?

I have heared that macbooks are good because the sleep function is great on them. Aparently mac Owners hardly ever turn there macbooks off they just put them in sleep mode and they boot up instantly. I have heared that this feature is not so great with a Windows laptop?

are they really much different when it comes to boot/loadup times & Battery life?

The problem i have is that i would like a macbook, but i just dont have the money for it right now and i need a laptop. This means i am faced with possibly getting a cheaper windows laptop for the time being.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're right about the Sleep function on a Mac annihilating the Windows equivalent. Hands down, there's no competition. I absolutely love how I can shut the lid, throw the laptop in my bag, and be out the door in seconds and know that I'll be able to open it up at my next class and pick up right where I left off without any problems. I can't have the same assurance with a Windows machine.

As for battery life, I range between 4 and 6 hours, depending on whether Wi-Fi is on or not, along with the brightness of the screen. So in class I generally have the Wi-Fi turned off (unless I'm plugged in) and have the brightness turned all the way down so that I can get around 6 hours, which is great for about 3 classes in case I don't have access to a socket all day.

If you can wait long enough to afford it, I would highly recommend a Macbook for school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
You're right about the Sleep function on a Mac annihilating the Windows equivalent. Hands down, there's no competition. I absolutely love how I can shut the lid, throw the laptop in my bag, and be out the door in seconds and know that I'll be able to open it up at my next class and pick up right where I left off without any problems. I can't have the same assurance with a Windows machine.

As for battery life, I range between 4 and 6 hours, depending on whether Wi-Fi is on or not, along with the brightness of the screen. So in class I generally have the Wi-Fi turned off (unless I'm plugged in) and have the brightness turned all the way down so that I can get around 6 hours, which is great for about 3 classes in case I don't have access to a socket all day.

If you can wait long enough to afford it, I would highly recommend a Macbook for school.

Agree. You just never know what's gonna happen when you put a Windows machine to sleep... being that the least of your problems, really... but that's the point to your concern :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
get a mac. mac has

long battery (4-5hours)
great sleep
easy to use
reliable

Reaction score
MacBook battery life 4-6 hours??

My brightness is set to minimum, bluetooth turned off.

I am only using Wi-Fi and it lasts 4 hours max.

I'll get a stop watch out the next time I have a full charge, but from memory i'm pretty sure those figures are correct.

vxd

Reaction score
I think the sleep mode function of which OS shouldn't be what makes you decides on which one to pick.
My MBP say it can last 6 hr only when I have brightness turned down to minimum and letting it sit on my desk without doing anything. You wouldn't want to do anything on any laptop that isn't bright enough. You'll be blind in a month from that kind of use.

There are heaps of Windows laptops out there that will have a better battery life, you just need to do a bit of research.

Really good thing about the Macs is the fact that you can turn it off and then turn it back on within 20 sec. Which saves a lot more battery life then putting it to sleep and its a **** of a lot faster to turn back on than a Windows.
Coming out of sleep mode of an Windows laptop seems pretty fast. I haven't had problems with it yet. But give it time and it will get slower and slower.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is mac's sleep mode the equivalent to windows hibernate or standby mode?

vxd

Reaction score
Hibernate is when the system is shut off but the HDD is still on. Standby is Sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Agree. You just never know what's gonna happen when you put a Windows machine to sleep... being that the least of your problems, really... but that's the point to your concern :Smirk:

Hmm...I guess it depends on how you run a Windows machine. I have no problems what so ever with my Dell.

OP - A window's machine would be fine. I'm not a fan of the Macbooks unless you have a main computer or purchase an external monitor. Working on 13"s all the time can't be comfortable. You can find refurbed MBP's for around $1500. That may be a little bit out of your price range, but that's the way to go imo.

Also, if you do get a Windows notebook, just be smart about how you use it and you'll have no other problems. In fact, I do the same things on my MBP as I do on my Dell...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have a desktop computer that i will use as my primary computer, i will mainly be using the macbook around the house with wireless and take it everywhere i go in university. i have two 19" tfts with my desktop that i can use for my macbook when im home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.