Question about Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Hi there just a couple of newbie questions about Mail.

Firstly, doyou need a .Mac account to set up an email account on Mail or do you get the info from your internet service provider?

Secondly, as im a university student i'll be moving house a lot. Therefore, if i change my ISP will i be able to keep my email address? If i change from NTL to BT for example will i have to set up a brand new Mail account?

Any help is always appreciated!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
1. No, use your internet provider information.
2. Yes

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15.4" 2GB RAM
You do not need a .mac account to setup an email with the built in mail in the mac.

You can use any info put into the mail program. For instance I use my schools email address and have the info put into it so I can download it. But depending on where I am, and what network im connected to I just change my outgoing email info so I can send my email.

I believe you can also setup hotmail and yahoo email accounts with the built in mail. Im not sure though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
Get a G-mail account, it's POP3 and you can access it from any where. Set up instructions for G-mail and Mail are on it's web site.

GP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can set-up any email within mail.app... Mail.app is simply an email client, no different (in what it does) than MS Outlook or Outlook Express...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.