Make me a believer - macbook or pro?

Reaction score
Ok, I have never used a mac in my life, so why would I want to switch now? I need a notebook, period - I feel I could be so much more productive laying down in bed reading then tired up at the computer. I am a web designer so a very large portion of my time is devoted to constantly being up to speed on the latest trends, innovations, techniques etc. For whatever reason out of no where I was bit by the mac bug, I just decided one day that I wanted one, for no reason at all, then I did the research and found that my newly found obsession was justified by the great features. I spend a good amount of time trouble shooting why my comp has slowed down, making sure I do routine virus and spyware scans, registry scans etc, pita.

So anyway I have been doing a great deal of research lately on what I should get, whereas I could get a dell for about 6-1000 cheaper and it would be comparable it probably would run like crap after 6 months and just be another junk hardware device that I got.

I am torn between the macbook and the pro. I don't travel alot so I don't do alot of work on the road but I do need it to be able to power photoshop pretty well if I do need it. I usually have about 50 firefox windows open so hopefully even with the 2gb version it won't slow me down too much.

So what are your suggestions for what I should get? If i go pro and spend nearly 2500 will I notice a performance increase going with the 2.4 instead of the 2.2? And if i go with the macbook can it be upgraded to hold 4gb or only 2 and what about the processor will it be SIGNIFICANTLY noticeable going form the macbook to the pro with the santa rosa processor? Such as when running apps like dreamweaver or photoshop.

In closing would it be wise for me to wait more for the holidays in hopes of an upgraded version of the pro or would that just be silly.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Search the boards around a bit. Plenty of information available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Pro or no

I have no time this morning to give an indepth reply to explain my answer, but, get a 17" MacBook Pro with the high definition screen.

A lot of money, but as they say, "buy cheap, buy twice". The hi res screen is ludicrously good, perfect for Photoshop and anything else for that matter. If your not a constantly portable person, this is perfect as you CAN take it away if need be.

If you want, wait until October/ November which is when I beleive Apple are releasing the new Operating system.

The MacBook Pro's have all the upgrades they are likely to get for a good while, so waiting for hardware upgrades will be frustratingly long.

Buy it, use it and smile.

I got a first edition MBP and my mouth hurts

Reaction score
MacBook Pro

I swithed about three months ago and its the best thing Ive ever done technology speaking. I dont travel too much, however I purchased the 15 MacBook pro just in case I hit the road. I wish I would have picked up the 17" model at this point. The screen is a matter of preference regarding the matt or glossy finish. The glossy screen looks much better, however you have to deal with glare in bright conditions.

You are in the middle of a period before the next release of MacBook Pro is available; it could take two to four months. Get it now and be happy. If your budget supports the 2.4 Ghz get it, if not no worries, the 2.2 runs fine

Reaction score
I just switched to a 15" MBP with 2GB RAM. I've been a PC user, laptops included, forever. ;D

I went with the Pro for 2 reasons:

1. I need 3D graphics to run a CAD-based application for work, and
2. Leopard, the next version of OSX, has Core Graphics.

Number 2 means that I expect high-end graphics to rapidly become a must-have part of the OS, and I don't want to be regretting my purchase in 12-18 months.

FWIW, the Pro is a brilliant machine which IMHO is worth every penny!

whatever you choose, Go Great!

Reaction score
Go with the Pro

I got a macbook 2.o ghz 2g ram in april 07 its run great but when you start runing premiere pro cs3 transfering my hdv from HV-20 to put on blu-ray it work fine but i take a long time to do the job. It now Aug 21 i am going to put up a mac pro this morning. If i had gotting the macbook pro in april i would not be havin to get this mac pro now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
MY MacBook 2.16GHz C2D/3GB RAM/7200rpm eats everything I feed it quite nicely. I can mess with Photos (Aperature & iPhoto), iTunes, burn DVD's (Fast DVD Copy & Handbrake) and sync my PDA just fine. Bootcamp and Parallels both run well and all of the office suites (Office 2004, iWork '08 & NeoOffice) respond quickly as well. I dropped down from a 15" MBP Core Duo as I never used the graphics capabilities and I wanted something more portable. I don't regret my decision thus far.
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Ok, I have never used a mac in my life, so why would I want to switch now? I need a notebook, period - I feel I could be so much more productive laying down in bed reading then tired up at the computer..... QUOTE]

Pretty much my story too. I sold-off three Windows notebooks I had laying around and one of them was my 'bed-side-reader'. I wanted a small and powerful notebook to replace it with and thought to give a Macbook a try.

I was torn between a MB or MBP. As I'a a former CAD designer, I'd love to have a large hi-rez screen. So I checked them out and decided on a 13" MB.
Here's why...when I would be drafting/designing, it's usually at my table where I have an external 19" wide screen monitor....or if I need something bigger I can hook it up to my 52" 1080P LCD home theater display...so I've got "a big-screen" argument coverd along with the the added ability to be super portable in the same package.

You could have just one device in a 17" MBP and spend a bundle...or a 13" MB and one pick-up one of those 19" wide screen's for about $150 (check Newegg, TigerDirect and PC Connection...just bought a 19" WS w/ DVI for wife) and have spent $1,500 - $1000 less...and you can take it to bed a allot easier.

BTW...my high-end Windows laptop gets 2x's hotter than my Macbook does. If you run the MB to optimize battery life while unplugged, you can actually toloerate that notbook on your lap allot easier than any other units I've used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram/60GB HDD/ Western Digital 500GB External HDD/ Superdrive DVDRW/
I got the 2.0 Ghz MB 13 inch white, and upgraded to 2GB myself. It works like wonders and I saved myself about 700 dollars for not getting that overpriced MBP. 2 of my friends have the MBP and the performance difference is minimal. If u have 700 extra to blow, get it. But I swear the 13 inch screen is perfect, and not a problem for my audio editing needs as I thought it would be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I got the 2.0 Ghz MB 13 inch white, and upgraded to 2GB myself. It works like wonders and I saved myself about 700 dollars for not getting that overpriced MBP. 2 of my friends have the MBP and the performance difference is minimal. If u have 700 extra to blow, get it. But I swear the 13 inch screen is perfect, and not a problem for my audio editing needs as I thought it would be.
I agree..I have the same set-up with self-upgraded 2GB....plus I bought it open-box and used the funds from the 3 Windows notebooks I sold (as noted in above post)....all of $220 out-of-pocket to get into a Macbook. It's as fast as the Mac Pros I play around with a the Big-Box store with the 2.2/2.4 Ghz C2D's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
Graphic design, video design and music recording is what I do. At first I wanted to have a Macbook Pro because I always want the "best". But I studied both machines, I tried both machines from friends, and decided the Macbook is the best things Apple's ever made. I have a 2.16 C2D, 1.6GB RAM Macbook, and it handles everything like heaven. I think there's no reason why you should be spending extra cash.

OP
Q
Reaction score
wow thanks for all the info guys, the only thing I am weary about is if i do go with a macbook that it won't be powerful enough for CS3 and that I am limited to 2gb max (correct me if I am wrong) and it is not the santa rosa set of intel chips, right? I usually want the biggest and best, but I am always up for a bargain, however If i was truly going for best bang for my buck I would get a dell vostro or something but I have already expressed I am not overly interested in buying another windows laptop.

With that being said I could use some more opinions on the pro vs the mac book for my intentions. Keep in mind I have about 40-50 firefox tabs open at a time. My primary interest in a new laptop would not be to replace my PC, its just something that if its small enough I can take it with me to work (which the mac book is) and use it in bed to catch up on ebook reading and blogs. I hate lugging around my gateway 400sd4 probably 10lb piece of outdated crap. My GF's dell is a joy (not sure what model) and this mac book seems even lighter!

I just want to make sure I am making the right decision going for a macbook instead of a pro, I think emphasized "photoshop" to the mac genius's a bit too much which made them immediately tell me to get the pro and the pro with the nvidia chipset which is why I have it in my head that I must hav e a pro or I will feel like a whimp. The only video conversion that I may ever need to do on the road would be like a 100mb file into flash video for a client, thats pretty much it.

Right now I have a custom built rig, AMD Operton 165 denmark 1.8ghz dual core overclocked to 2.25ghz on a dfi lanparty nf4 with 2gb of ram. It still feels too slow sometimes, but then again what I would be doing on the laptop wouldn't be the same as what I would be doing on my pc, for instance right now I have about 100 firefox tabs open between 2 browsers, converting a dvd, utorrent and a few other things in the background. I wouldn't have utorrent on the laptop unless I needed something asap and I wouldn't be converting dvds with it either and I probably wouldn't have 1/3 the amount of processes running on the mac.

** hum, still need some convincing, but you guys have stearing me towards the macbook, i'd love to save the money honestly.

Reaction score
Hey, if you're not a student in need of a laptop immediately, wai until at least October when Leopard comes out. Especially if you're the type to get buyer's remorse.

And go for the MBP, it seems like you'll do a lot of web design, photo editing, and a little bit of video. Dont get me wrong, the MB is totally competent, but its more of a consumer/student laptop. You'll enjoy the different features of the MBP, and all the extras.

If money is tight, maybe the MBP isnt right for now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Either will do the job. A MB with Core 2 Duo can address 3GB of RAM. I am running that and so no real performance hit from non-paired RAM. Xbench says my graphics took a 3% hit. I've tried hard but cannot tell the difference in actually using it. I went "DOWN" from the MBP because I don't play 3D video games and I didn't find it nice to lug around. That all being said, I'm sure you will get a laptop that fits your needs with either model. MY advice, take the money saved by purchasing a MB and get some nice peripherals, Applecare, Airport Extreme Wireless n, etc...
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
One thing to keep in mind is that Firefox, on any platform, is a memory hog. That said, the MB can take 4 GB but will only address a max of 3GB, the MBP I think can use all 4GB. There have been some benchmarks of 4GB matched vs 3GB unmatched vs 2GB matched. IMHO, the few seconds difference in various PS benchmarks doesn't warrant 4GB matched vs 3GB unmatched, and the differnce from 3GB to 2GB isn't much at all either....everyone agres that 2GB matched is the just beyond the sweetspot. (Just for reference, I run Firefox with about 5 to 8 tabs active...never hit over 1 GB of memory use as reportd by Activity Monitor)

It sounds like you want the MB for ligher weight tasks but may end-up replacing your current set-up if a Mac can do them all....correct?

Here's a suggestion that I pondered...and why I bought an open-box. I wasn't sure either if a Mac was for me and my needs. I didn't want to buy a new one because of the in-store re-stocking fee at every place I went to. I wanted the abillity to either retun it fee-free (as there is no restokinf charge on already returned/demo merchandise) incase every Mac fanboy was a liar about this whole Mac phenomenom.... or buy-up to a MBP if the MB wasn't enough horsepower.

Needless to say, I won't be upgading or retuning anything. I love this little machine.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I am going to the apple store tomorrow to check these guys out again, maybe I'll buy, not sure yet. I am not looking to have my MB replace my rig, just would more or less use it to supplement it. Do mac stores generally have a decent amount of open box mac books? Do they go through any refurb process or have a warranty? Still torn between MB and MBP ugh!!

A semi sweet deal is if I do buy the MB I can get the ipod nano and my GF wants that and she will give me her pretty much brand new 30GB ipod, hrmmm incentive lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I am going to the apple store tomorrow to check these guys out again, maybe I'll buy, not sure yet. I am not looking to have my MB replace my rig, just would more or less use it to supplement it. Do mac stores generally have a decent amount of open box mac books? Do they go through any refurb process or have a warranty? Still torn between MB and MBP ugh!!

A semi sweet deal is if I do buy the MB I can get the ipod nano and my GF wants that and she will give me her pretty much brand new 30GB ipod, hrmmm incentive lol.
I never had much luck with open box or refurb units at an Apple store. Best Buy is your best bet for an open-box Macbook. They still may have 2.0Ghz that are on clearance/floor demo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"|matte display|OS X 10.4|2.2ghz intel
I swithed about three months ago and its the best thing Ive ever done technology speaking. I dont travel too much, however I purchased the 15 MacBook pro just in case I hit the road. I wish I would have picked up the 17" model at this point. The screen is a matter of preference regarding the matt or glossy finish. The glossy screen looks much better, however you have to deal with glare in bright conditions.

You are in the middle of a period before the next release of MacBook Pro is available; it could take two to four months. Get it now and be happy. If your budget supports the 2.4 Ghz get it, if not no worries, the 2.2 runs fine

Personally, I don't see any difference in the glossy versus the matte screen, other than hideous glare on the glossy. I was told by an Apple saleswoman that the glossy was great if you spent your life watching movies on your computer in the dark, but since I (and I hope most people) don't do that, anti-glare matte screen ftw! it looks just as nice, I promise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.