Formatting new hard drive via firewire

Reaction score
wuts evrybdy... I'm trying to format a brand new hard drive in a PowerBook g4. the problem is the cd drive doesn't work on the g4, So I want to try and format the g4 via firewire connected to a working g5 MacBook Pro. Also I don't know what I am doing and could really use some guru-esque advise/directions as to what my next move is. I know I am supposed to connect the g4 to the g5 via firewire , then boot the g4 holding down "t", but then what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Go to the Apps folder on the Macbook Pro (there is no G5 laptop by the way) and then to the utilities folder. open disk utility and from there the g4 laptop should be visable. U can erase/ format there.
You asked 2 minutes ago about installing a fresh HD into the powerbook. You shouldnt need to reformat the HD.
How do you plan on installing the OS?
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im on AIM thrutheeyesofbry if you want to message me
Bryan

OP
M
Reaction score
Your going to think I'm dumb (not only for thinking there was a g5 laptop) but also because I don't know what AIM is, I tried ichat? sorry for posting here again I just couldn't find AIM. I planned on installing the os thru the MacBook. Is this even possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ichat and aim are the same.
I dont think that's possible. You could try booting the macbook pro from the install dvd and then choosing to install it to the firewire external (G4 Powerbook)
Bryan

OP
M
Reaction score
how tho. I have the powerbook plug in firewire and there is a yellow firewire icon bouncing around the screen. How do I boot the macbook so that it can still communicate thru firewire. wont it be bad for the powerbook if I turn off the macbook. If I try to use the cd drive in the powerbook do I put in the boot disk before I turn it on or after?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whats ur ichat name? this will be a ton easier...
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I can't wait up for you any longer.
You can shut off the macbook pro no problem with the powerbook on. My external firewire HD shuts off a few minutes after i shut my iMac off.
Put the install DVD into the Macbook pro and shut it off or restart from the dvd once it is on the desktop of the macbook pro.
Once it restarts using the install dvd, go through the menus. It should ask which drive u want to install the OS to. From there it might ask you to reformat the powerbook HD.
It should be pretty simple once you get going. Update me, I will check back in the morning if you have any other problems.
Bryan

OP
M
Reaction score
sorry for lagging. Do you think I risk loosing all the data on the MacBook should the system just go ahead and reboot on the macbook instead of the powerbook

OP
M
Reaction score
Bry, man thank you so much for all yer help, I really appreciate it very much. I guess the HD install went fine because I was able to boot up the start up disk in the supposed broken cd drive of the powerbook and get halfway thru the menus before hitting my head again. now that the os install is underway I have no destination disk to install to. So I am stuck again!

OP
M
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!!! Up and running after one semi-stressful afternoon. Thanks again so much bro!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.