• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

watching pc-burned dvd-r on macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello

Like many others I've switched from PCs to a Macbook (intel one)

A friend's sent me some DVD-rs he's burned on his pc (I live in Singapore) and I'm having trouble playing them.

When I open the file, they've been saved as Avis. First they wouldn't play at all. Then I downloaded a codec and it played without sound. Then I converted one file using another Divd doctor. It played the sound and not the picture.

Is there another player that will play these ripped dvds?

Also, because I've lived in UK, now Asia and have bought many US DVDs I got in a pickle and ended up setting my DVD to Asia region. If I were to download VLC would that work separately and for all regions?

Apologies for being thick.....;D

OP
dorisbonkers
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi Nepqunes

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to fix it by converting them with the Doctor programme (with the sound compressed) downloading VLC and playing them on there.

Thanks and great site. I was really cheesed off when I realised you could only have several attempts to lock your region (seems to encourage piracy if anything :| )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.