• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Rip DVDs from other regions, not currently set on my internal DVD-R Superdrive?

K

knapster

Rip DVDs from other regions (eg. 1 + 3) on my region 2 Superdrive DVD-R?

Hello

My question is about ripping DVDs from regions other than that currently set on my Powerbook 15".

I have a region 1 disk and my PB is region 2. Is it technically possible to copy the data on the dvd (DVD backup 1.3 etc.) while avoiding a change to the DVD hardware region code.

DVD backup for example, requires authentication from DVD Player before you can encode the disk. (the bottom line is that I want to copy the disk without its region code so I can play it to the region my PB is currently set, or on my DVD player).

Is this possible? Any advice on this, or the region code issues? No firmware update is available for my drive, so can't go that route.

Thanks in advance for help

K

OP
K

knapster

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware that software can rip out the region code (I'm depending on it) - but can it do it without authenticating the drive first? I tried Mac the ripper and it wont rip without autheticating the drive to another zone first. I can't even play dids from other regions on VLC - I've heard the drive in my new (and latest) Powerbook is somehow super locked to prevent these sorts of software work-arounds.

Can anyone confirm this?

If anyone has had joy with the above software, then let me know. Can you rip direct or do you create a video_ts folder first?

K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.