• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Playing DVD movies through the television?

M

michaelk69

Hi everyone!

OK, this may be the most stupid question ever entered on here, so apologies in advance . . .

BUT . . .

I have a G4 Powerbook, and want to play DVDs through my TV. The PowerBook came with some kind of white dongle adaptor thing for this very purpose. One end is a firewire connector, but I don't *think* the other end is meant to go directly into the TV. For a start, it doesn't match up to any of the ports on my TV, and besides it is no where near long enough.

Does anyone know what additional cable I need to get, in order to complete the hook-up??

OP
M

michaelk69

And okay, the end that I called Firewire may not actually be firewire, i can see that now. But it sort of looks like Firewire. And the other end has two rows of eight tiny holes. Also, I am in the UK, so although I don't have any S-video ports on my TV, I do have a spare SCART slot.

So, maybe I can buy something to plug into the SCART port at one end, and then plug the other end into this dongle thing that I have . . . but I will need to know what the dongle thing is so I know what kind of adaptor to get??

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I think the one that I have is an S-Video to female video port. So what you need is a double male video wire and that should do it. Now if you have something else.. then Im not sure what to tell you.

OP
K

knapster

Try an adapter....

I think you might need something like this , an adapter to give you input via the S-Video Cable to the Scart socket.

My PB came with a S-video to phono lead: phono to scart leads are very common!

The S-video to scart would be a better quality solution though.

Cheaper variations on the above adapter are available for as little as £1.00

OP
M

michaelk69

Hi, Sorry, me again . . .

Okay, I got the little dongle that I needed, and my Powerbook is all hooked up to my TV, and the DVD is showing on my PowerBook screen, but I am not sure how to 'tell' the PowerBook to display the picture on the TV screen?

Anyone know?

Should it be happening automatically?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.