A new mac user's few concerns

Reaction score
Hey guys how's your day?
I just got myself a macbook for studying purpose. (Well that's what i told my parents lol)

And i have a few questions regarding mac, a lot of the applications i downloaded seem to be in .dmg extension so i assume that is the universal format for mac?

Q1
I tried skype, msn and vlc first. As i opened up these 3 files, the virtual thing of them appeared. And i cannot delete the dmg file, so by dragging them into the application folder does that mean i have it installed on my comp?

Q2
I have started deleting programs that i don't want to use such as iwork etc as mentioned in another thread, already saved me 2G. Can all other applications be deleted with the same method? Just spotlight search and kill all related files without the add or remove program like in windows?

Q3
mac messenger, i had groups of people in my windows msn like school, family etc. When i started mac they all seem to be seperated into online and offline. Anyway i can create groups?

Thanks a lot for your help ^^. I'm already starting to love the mac system. Gonna have to wear gloves when using it to keep it white haha >.<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Welcome! These are all very typical questions:

Q1
I tried skype, msn and vlc first. As i opened up these 3 files, the virtual thing of them appeared. And i cannot delete the dmg file, so by dragging them into the application folder does that mean i have it installed on my comp? To 'install' applications downloaded in the way you mention, this is what you should do. The DMG will usually open automatically, especially if you're using Safari, but if it doesn't, double click on it. It will then mount a temporary drive in the same folder, probably your desktop. In the temporary drive, you will see the application or a .pkg file. If it's simply an application, then drag this to your application folder, if it is a pkg file, just double click on it and follow the on screen instructions.

When completed, delete the .dmg (unless you want to keep it backed up somewhere) and then drag the temporary mounted drive to the trash, which will eject it. Presto.

Q2
I have started deleting programs that i don't want to use such as iwork etc as mentioned in another thread, already saved me 2G. Can all other applications be deleted with the same method? Just spotlight search and kill all related files without the add or remove program like in windows? More or less you can get away with this, but there are more clinical ways too. Basically if an App was added simply by dragging into the Application folder, you can kill it like this. If you 'installed' it, you should remove it using the application's uninstaller. http://tips4mac.blogspot.com/2007/07/uninstalling-applications.html

Q3
mac messenger, i had groups of people in my windows msn like school, family etc. When i started mac they all seem to be seperated into online and offline. Anyway i can create groups? Yes, just go to Contacts on the menu bar, sort contacts, sort contacts by groups. You should consider Adium as well, which is more stable and allows you to keep all your IM buddies from different chat clients in one place. http://www.adiumx.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
EDIT: Oh, looks like Zoolook beat me to it. +Rep!

Welcome to the forums NakedAngel!

OP
N
Reaction score
OMG i don't even know how to thanks you Zoolook haha. These infos are really helpful. I just went to download applcleaner. and thanks for the welcome guys. I'll be sure to stick around ^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
wow gd post zoolook.

rep +

you also beat me to it. !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.