Photoshop on all Macs

Reaction score
i was just scrolling around & out of nowhere the question of photoshop popped into my mind. Because i have always thought Photoshop is pre installed in all Macs. I have a feeling im making a very big mistake. Am i?

What programs do most of you guys use for advanced editing?
becasue CS2/ CS3 from the apple store costs a bomb & I was wondering what are you guys' thoughts.

thanks.

TWM

Reaction score
I use Gimp. It does most of what photo shop will do, and its free. check it out.

M

MacHeadCase

Photoshop installed on all Macs? That would increase the cost by at least $600 US per unit!

Gimp is a free alternative like TWM says. I use Photoshop and the Adobe CS2 suite apps, Quark and Dreamweaver. But then again, I'm going to work in the desktop publishing field.

TWM

Reaction score
Gimp is great for what it is, especially since it's free. But for the true professional, You have to go with photoshop.

MHC,in more detail, what is desktop publishing?

Thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

Desktop publishing is for all the printed material you see: newspapers, magazines, posters, flyers, catalogues, CD sleeves (right word?), software boxes, etc.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
for most users, you can probably get away with gimp or photoshop elements. PE is a pretty decent program and has most of the commonly used functions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I got a student version of CS3 (Web Premium); was about £215 ($430). Still a bit, but considering it's about £1,100 standard, it seemed like an OK deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15.4" 2GB RAM
I also picked up the Web Premium version of the Creative Series with the purchase of my new mac and also got the student discount. I only paid $300 for it. I cant believe how much discount they give you for being a student and buying a new mac at the same time. It was awesome.

But yeah if you really cant afford Photoshop then your best bet is gimp.

TWM

Reaction score
Desktop publishing is for all the printed material you see: newspapers, magazines, posters, flyers, catalogues, CD sleeves (right word?), software boxes, etc.

Sounds like its going to be a cool job. what is your major???

M

MacHeadCase

Well I am not in a US college or Uni.

And it is what they call in the Department/Ministry of Education a professional diploma: you study only the classes that give you the diploma i.e. no extra-curricular like French class, no Philosophy class, etc. Besides at my age, I've done all those already anyway. LOL

So I am learning beginners to advanced levels: Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, InDesign, a bit of DreamWeaver for website building, the printing process, stuff like that. :)

TWM

Reaction score
What can you do in IRC? it seems cool, But i'm not quite getting it...lol.

M

MacHeadCase

It's the weekly Mac-Forums chatroom get-together! We were nearly 20 last Sunday! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I use Photoshop CS3 all the time for my editing, i got a really good deal through my college store on Design Premium.

Reaction score
I personally use gimp, but there's a few thing that confuses me, i've used CS3 before on windows, the demo when it came out, and heard people cracked and made it official, it was only 50MB big! How can something 50MB big sell a couple of hundred dollars haha... >.< When i bought it at the store the guy introduced to me like 1000 bucks of softwares and when i said no he looked so disappointed XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.