• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is fat really bad for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Guys, this article is seriously interesting, and sober reading. It is a good 30 min read so pick a quiet moment whislt repairing permissions. I hate to drag you away from more serious Mac related business but I do like to stir it up once in a while.
http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/articles/fatlie.shtml
Sim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's funny, I just recommended Walter Willett's book "Eat Drink and be Healthy" in another thread! Good article, but would have been better coming from someone with at least some medical background. I think this article and the Atkins diet boil down to the basic idea that not all fats are bad and controlling caloric intake and eating a balanced diet (read: not tons of carbs) is key to being healthy.

Despite what the article says, I think lifestyle changes have a lot to do with people's current health situation. He's big on noting the 80's as a major turning point. What happened in the 80's: cable television, video games and computers started to become mainstream and have been increasing their penetration into people's lives ever since: they didn't just break on the scene and remain unchanged in use.

Along with all of this sedentary lifestyle change is an increase in eating more as something to do rather than something people do because they're hungry. It's not always about hunger and satiation. I used to eat all the time, not because I was hungry, but just because I was bored or wanted to eat or drink something while playing games or watching TV for hours.

The author cites the position of low-fat, high cholesterol diet recommendations as the fault for obesity, but I don't think that can be the only cause or even a major cause. The rampant success of fast food restaurants, and microwavable meals are a testament to how much people abide by such recommendations. If the majority of people are not following those recommendations, how can they be the cause of the majority of people being obese?

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
All very true. I think a point he does make well, is there is no one answer to the problem. If you eat badly, don't excercise, sit at your TV/Mac all day, drink alot and smoke, then cutting fat out won't improve your health. He also makes a good point about just how complicated the human digestive system is and how hard it is to test out new diet theories, which at the very least means we should individually set out to research it as much as posible, and find out what works best for the individual, rather than just swallowing the latest fad as gospel truth. I for one have got to the point where I almost never eat anything that has been preprepared. I cook fresh food most days. Unfortunately a new generation as grown up unable to perform even the most daily rituals of self care. Another thing is most of this data refers to the States, and cannot be considered relevant elsewhere. This will rage on for a long time...

Reaction score
All very true. I think a point he does make well, is there is no one answer to the problem. If you eat badly, don't excercise, sit at your TV/Mac all day, drink alot and smoke, then cutting fat out won't improve your health. He also makes a good point about just how complicated the human digestive system is and how hard it is to test out new diet theories, which at the very least means we should individually set out to research it as much as posible, and find out what works best for the individual, rather than just swallowing the latest fad as gospel truth. I for one have got to the point where I almost never eat anything that has been preprepared. I cook fresh food most days. Unfortunately a new generation as grown up unable to perform even the most daily rituals of self care. Another thing is most of this data refers to the States, and cannot be considered relevant elsewhere. This will rage on for a long time...
haha that second sentence describes me perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.