Home page? Shortcut

Reaction score
So i know the shortcut in safari to go to the home page is up arrow, apple command key, H.

But when i do this it hides safari??

Am i pressing something wrong?

Not a big problem, but i was curious

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
No no, the "up arrow" is the Shift key! ;p

Here are all the symbols for the keys that are used in the menus:

mac_key_symbols.png

Personally, I wished Apple would put both the name and the symbol for each key.

I mean, some of the symbols are fairly obvious, but some are really cryptic.
For instance, look at the symbol for Enter (not Return). Would you be able to guess that that's Enter?!

It's good that on the new Apple Keyboards,
the Command key, one of the most important keys, is identified both by its name and its symbol (the "cloverleaf"),
whereas before, the key was only identified by an apple and the "cloverleaf."
Obviously, apple + cloverleaf = command, right? o_O

If only they did this with all the keys on the new Keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No no, the "up arrow" is the Shift key! ;p

Personally, I wished Apple would put both the name and the symbol for each key.
The big problem with that is space...there's only so much room in the menus and on the keyboard.

Apple could always solve this the way Microsoft did...use meaningless abbreviations like ESC, ALT and CTRL instead.
Obviously, apple + cloverleaf = command, right? o_O
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Swedish_Campground.txt

Most of the other symbols are also very carefully conceived. The ^ for "control" goes back to the teletype days, and is well established on Unix. The Option symbol is a circuit symbol for a microswitch. The open-arrow for Shift is actually common on PC keyboards, but absent on most Mac keyboards. The return-key symbol is a carryover from the typewriters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
im not kean on the new apple keyboard. its not like apple to put words on keys. besides i have a macbook pro so i have no need to it anyway.
mebbys when i get my little brother an imac or a mac mini or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Here's something interesting to note.

This is the French Canadian keyboard:

mac_keyboard_french_canadian.jpg

Notice how most keys are marked with symbols instead of names?
The following keys are only identified by their symbol:
Escape, Tab, Caps Lock, Shift, Option (although "alt" is still written above), Delete, Return, Enter

I'm assuming that the French Canadian Apple Keyboard isn't the exception but rather, it's the U.S. one that is,
which would mean all Apple Keyboards other than the U.S. one mostly use symbols instead of words.

The big problem with that is space...there's only so much room in the menus and on the keyboard.

No no, the menus are fine IMO. It's actually better than "Ctrl, Shift, etc." because the symbols take much less space.
I'm saying that instead, the symbols should be on the keys.

Actually, if you look at the new Apple Keyboard, there's tons of empty space on most of the keys, especially Caps Lock, Shift, Control, Option, Delete, Return, and Enter. Might be harder for Escape, Home, End, Page Up/Down. But if they can fit both the name and the symbol on that tiny Forward Delete key, then they can certainly do it for the others.

Apple could always solve this the way Microsoft did...use meaningless abbreviations like ESC, ALT and CTRL instead.
That... is not that bad of an idea, actually.

I mean, in terms of comprehension and usability, you can't get any clearer than that, in that what you see in menus is exactly what you see on the keys. I don't think any PC user, even the novices, would ever be puzzled when they see "Ctrl" or "Shift" in the menus. Compare that to a Mac user seeing the Control symbol for the first time.

But of course, Apple would never do that because it's not aesthetically pleasing. (And yes, I do find "Ctrl, Alt, Esc, ..." rather inelegant.)

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Swedish_Campground.txt
Most of the other symbols are also very carefully conceived. The ^ for "control" goes back to the teletype days, and is well established on Unix. The Option symbol is a circuit symbol for a microswitch.

I actually read that anecdote before. Interesting.

But an interesting history doesn't make the symbol any more obvious to the average user.

I mean, for me, the symbols for Escape and Option make sense for me, but they'll most likely mean nothing to most people out there.

The open-arrow for Shift is actually common on PC keyboards, but absent on most Mac keyboards.
Kinda ironic, considering in Windows, the arrow is never used to represent Shift (for instance, in menus), while Mac OS X pretty much always uses the arrow for Shift.

im not kean on the new apple keyboard. its not like apple to put words on keys.
Actually, the old Apple Keyboards (the U.S. one anyway) also mostly uses words.

apple_keyboard_old.jpg

Only the Command key completely lacks words.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.