• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie won't Recognize SONY DCR-PC9 NTSC

K

kuritarou

I'm trying to use a Sony DCR-PC9 NTSC with iMovie and a Powerbook G4 and I keep getting a "No Camera Attached" message. I tried cycling the power (turning cam off/on), unplugging the camera battery, bringing the date and time up-to-date and also tried ejecting and re-inserting the cassette. Finally, I tried the special SONY solution at this user site: http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/usage/5020.shtml

(going to "VIDEO EDIT," setting to "READY," and then setting MARK IN in the VIDEO EDIT menu), but nothing improved.

These are my settings:

"TAPE SET->REC MODE is set to "SP"
A/V->DV OUT is "ON"
"DISPLAY" is set to "V-OUT/LCD"
"VIDEO EDIT" is set to "READY"
"EDIT SET-> CONTROL" is set to "I-LINK"
"DV-IN" appears on the LCD screen whenever I plug in the FIREWIRE/I-LINK

Is there a special mode (in the FN Menu or elsewhere) to employ with this camcorder in order to export to the computer? (I have been trying to use "VCR" mode.)

My older camcorder (a Sharp VL-NZ100) works with iMovie, using the same ILINK/FIREWIRE cable.

Is the Sony DCR-PC9 NTSC different from the Sony DCR-PC9? I have a PDF manual for the latter, and it some options seem different.

Is this a commonly-reported problem with SONY? If anyone knows what to do, please let me know. I can't wait to get this thing working!

Kuritarou

OP
E

ellsworthc

Something to try...

I've just found a posting suggesting that some Sony video cameras will NOT output video over the FireWire (iLink) connection while a Memory Stick is installed in the camcorder. I'd be very interested to hear whether this is your problem.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my macbook, which doesn't recognize my camcorder dcr-pc9. I am sure it's because I didn't install the camcorder software on my computer. I lost that software, does anybody where I can download it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The manual should tell you how to set up the camera and even which switch to set to such as VCR mode.

One thing is to confirm the Mac is even seeing the camera. With the camera connected and turned on; Click on About this Mac under the Apple menu, click the More Info... button, under the Hardware tab in the window that appears, click on Firewire. A list of devices found shows up on the right and you camera should show up if it is working properly. If not, try the same thing with your other camera to see what I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
I am not familiar with this cameras modes, but with my Panasonic Mini-DV, to import to iMovie the camera must be in Play mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.