Incredibly stupid question but I'm lost

Reaction score
I just got my macbook today and I noticed that some of the programs I installed are showing up on my desktop as ejectable drives? How do I put these in the applications folder and make them good and stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM
I fell for this at first when i switched. Installing from a .dmg file is normally as simple as opening the .dmg file and then dragging the application to your applications folder.

I found a useful guide to installing applications, which you might find handy http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X which you may find useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
In those cases, the application was not installed properly.

Quit the programs in question.

Then find the DMG file (the installation file) and do the following:

installing_an_application_1.png

installing_an_application_2.png

installing_an_application_3.png

installing_an_application_4.png

Afterwards, you can move the DMG file to the Trash, if you wish.
(I would usually keep the DMGs "just in case.")

Also, only after these steps should you open the app or add it to your Dock.

OP
N
Reaction score
alright thanks a lot guys. im really loving my new macbook.

Another quick wuestion though. On the mac store site, it shows the macbooks with a black GUI. I also saw a blackbook at bestbuy with the same gui. How do I do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
What is black?

The Menu Bar, windows and the whole look of the system?

Or is it just that the Close/Minimize/Zoom buttons are grayish instead of red/yellow/green?

If it's the latter, System Preferences > Appearance
Change Appearance from Blue to Graphite

If it's the whole look of the system, then they must've used an app called ShapeShifter.

http://unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's just iPhoto, not the Mac desktop itself. We had a discussion about that a little while ago

OP
N
Reaction score
nah its not. i saw a gui exactly like it on a blackbook at best buy. It looked really good. The bars were black and pinstriped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
hmm that would be awesome but i have never seen that so i dont really know how to do it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The picture you are showing there, is iPhoto, believe it or not.

Dont' know what you might have seen at Best Buy.

But, Shapeshifter is what you want if you want to change the appearance of the menu bars, etc.

Below are a couple of partial screenshots - the first a portion showing iPhoto and one of the Shapeshifter themes applied to the menu bar - the second, one of the many themes available with Shapeshifter

1a.gif

1.gif

Reaction score
I just got my macbook today and I noticed that some of the programs I installed are showing up on my desktop as ejectable drives? How do I put these in the applications folder and make them good and stuff?

Many downloaded applications show up on OS X now as volume 'disks'. Just double-click, like in the 'olden' days:) The app. appears, put it in app folder and trash the 'disk' icon.

**Life is short; judgment is difficult**

Reaction score
There seems to be some inconcistencies with this. I have had it work like this on some applications, yet with Firefox, ejecting the drive would delete the application. So I did it the way it was described above.

Many downloaded applications show up on OS X now as volume 'disks'. Just double-click, like in the 'olden' days:) The app. appears, put it in app folder and trash the 'disk' icon.

**Life is short; judgment is difficult**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I had this prob too. Everything I have installed I have been able to drag to Applications - but not MSN Messenger for some reason. Will read this guide and try again :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.