WoW on MacBook...

Reaction score
OK I now know that WoW will run on a MacBook (not pro), I'd just like to know this.
Would it (probably) run better worse or about the same as on my current desktop PC. Heres the specs of both (i'm not good with this kind of thing):

MacBook
Intel Something at 2.16Mhz
2GB RAM
Some kind of crappy video card

My Current PC
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ at 2.09Mhz (supposedly)
1GB RAM
ATi Radeon 9550 (256MB version)

I know my current PC has dedicated video memory, but the card is old and it sucks and I heard the MacBook card borrows memory from the RAM, which is double that of my current PC.

Thanks very much for the help so far.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, the 9550 was never anything but a low priced, low end card.
Doubt you will find anyone that has that card and a MacBook that will run tests and post back how they are. So, have to go to the internet for info to make an educated guess.

Here is a graph and some tests comparing the ATI X800 XT (which will blow away your 9550) and the Radeon Xpress 200. It shows the Xpress 200 holding it's own not too bad against the X800.

And here is some testing comparing the Xpress 200 to the Intel GMA 950 in the MacBook.

The 950 has the same core frequency as the 9550, almost double the pixel rate, and 40% more memory bandwidth than the 9550.

You can do some more google seraches for the 2 cards and then cross reference the results to end up with a fairly accurate picture of what you might be able to expect.

And, according to my memory reading other's posts; when running OS X, the 950 will only use the 64MB it's set up for. If you boot into XP using Boot Camp I believe you have the ability to assign it a higher amount.

OP
S
Reaction score
**** that isn't brilliant is it... guess I'll have to be saving up the extra for a MBP then... or go for the iMac and lose portability... or go back to Windows... *shudders*

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, it's not brilliant, but it would probably do about the same as your old 9550.

But then, as you already know, that's not really saying a whole lot is it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Lol not really. I tried playing Oblivion on it once... heh heh now that WAS interesting.
I suppose if it gets the job done though it'll be fine. Still, I think I'll spend the extra and get a MBP or else just get an iMac, especially since there's supposed to be better graphics in the new expansion...
Thanks anyways, just want to know everything I can before I buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The only down side to playing it on a MB would probably be the resolution. Maybe try an external montior, but I don't know if you could jack it up the settings.

I think ATI is developing an external GPU that would work well with a laptop like a MB. It will definitely be interesting...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.