• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New diet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
Hey all i decided to post up here that im starting a new diet. I havent had soda in 3 days minimal fried food. no fast food. Its gonna be hard but im sick of being so over weight and such a young age.. if anyone has some good ideas for diets or things to eat or anything..or just idk anything that you would want someone to tell you while u were dieting. Im keeping an excel document on how much weight i lose each week so.. yea

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting started to a new you and lots of luck in the process. I too am in the same boat. Just visited my doctor today and was shocked at how much i have gained. I knew i was over, but didn't realize it was that much so have also started the process of loosing quite a large amount.

Good luck and hang in there and let us know how your progress is going, maybe your success will encourage someone who needs it to give it a go also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM
Well done !!

I'm also having to diet due to be diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I've combined a balanced diet with some excercise by joining the gym at work and it's going really well so far.

The only advice I can give is to make sure that you set yourself realistic goals and don't aim to lose too much too soon as it can be discouraging.

I use a couple of HealthEngage products (http://www.healthengage.com/)(which help me record all I do (one is for depression management, the other is for healh diet and fitness). They aren't free but they help me tot everything up.

As James said, keep us up to date on your progress so that we can all add our support and encouragement to what is a challenging thing to do alone!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
giving up soda is a great step. make sure to replace it with lots of water. and if you find you absolutely need the caffine, try tea with splenda (english breakfast is particularly nice).

find some healthy foods you like. that will help a lot. search sites like foodnetwork and the like for ideas.

make sure to walk or do something, diets can go painfully slow if you're not getting a bit of excercise in.

good luck man, i know it's hard, and it only gets harder as you get older.

Reaction score
I just try my best to stay away from maccas and fast food. When I eat out, I make an effort to find any restaurant which offers reasonable (I won't say healthy because that's an exaggeration) meals like rice, noodles, sandwiches or whatever.

Even when we go have pizza we feel guilty that it's unhealthy lol, but yeh we're just trying our best. Maybe its because of the media but it does seem people are more health conscious nowadays.

The only real "healthy" food I can think of is the stuff mum makes. That and maybe, just maybe subway sandwiches.

Oh yeh by the way can I ask, how are you running your excel document on a Mac? I really need to know for some school work I'm doing soon...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I just try my best to stay away from maccas and fast food. When I eat out, I make an effort to find any restaurant which offers reasonable (I won't say healthy because that's an exaggeration) meals like rice, noodles, sandwiches or whatever.

Even when we go have pizza we feel guilty that it's unhealthy lol, but yeh we're just trying our best. Maybe its because of the media but it does seem people are more health conscious nowadays.

The only real "healthy" food I can think of is the stuff mum makes. That and maybe, just maybe subway sandwiches.

Oh yeh by the way can I ask, how are you running your excel document on a Mac? I really need to know for some school work I'm doing soon...

He is using Microsoft Office for Mac to run Excel. Unless he is using an open source free one like NeoOffice or OpenOffice.

I'm on Atkins. The wierd thing with me is that I know I can lose wait when I want to. I lost 40 in a month and a half before. But I can never stick to it. I;m still trying though.

Reaction score
I found that there is always something healthy that everyone likes. Find what that is for you and eat that more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Congrats on your choice to start a diet. You have taking a great first step by cutting out soda. Drink lots of water, and try to stay way from sugar based drinks like gatorade and kool-aid. one of the heatlhiest drinks out there is green tea. It is low in caffene and will not add many calories into your daily intake.

I know from experance that giving up caffene is hard as i am about 3 weeks with out caffene. If you would like i have some more advice that i can give to you just pm me so i dont post a long reply here in the thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Well, I used to weigh 260 and I lost 70 pounds by drinking ONLY water, not eating red meat, eating very little dairy products, and running 5 miles a day. If the ONLY water thing is too tough, you can try Crystal Light but I thought it was so disgusting that I stuck to drinking tap water. My breakfast consisted of two eggs on toast with salsa. My lunch was albacore tuna on toasted wheat bread with low fat mayo, relish, and a slice of tomato, with a banana on the side. My dinner was a can of Campbell's Chunky turkey chili. It took me about 4 months to lose the weight. Of course, I let it slip and I've gained about 30 pounds back but I'm on the weight loss track again. I was in incredible shape, and now I'm working on getting back to there. For exercise, I started out at a mile a night followed by 25 sit ups and 10 push ups and 5 40-yard sprints. Every week, I'd up the mileage by 1/2 a mile to a mile and add 5-10 to the sit ups and push ups. In a few weeks' time, I was up to 5 miles a night with 150 sit ups and 75 push ups and 15 40-yard sprints.

Remember this (and this is coming from a person who did it), the HARDEST part of diet and exercise BY FAR is the first two weeks. After that, you'll be addicted and it will be easy to do. It will seem impossible at first, but it just gets easier and easier. My sophomore year of high school I couldn't run the entire mile in gym class, and my junior year I was a mile runner for the school track team. Believe me, all you have to do is want it enough and it can be done. I know this sounds cliche', but if I can do it anybody can.

OP
spudd4242
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well thanks for the support at my mid week i have already dropped around 4 pounds so hopefully it just keeps going

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Oh, and one final thought. Your worst enemy in the entire battle is the little voice in the back of your head that says, "Well, I'll let myself go back to my old ways, just for tonight." Don't listen to it. Give yourself one night a week's break from exercise (for recovery only) but don't stop dieting. They call it a lifestyle change for a reason, once you start it is FOR LIFE. Otherwise, you'll start moving back towards your set weight like I am. The mistake I made was thinking that once I got down to my goal weight, I could start living like I did before. Now I have to fight to get back to where I was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
Male: 36 was 270, now 225

Good Luck! I am down 45lbs since Dec 2006. Protein, low sugar, high fiber. Some wheat/fiber products are not your friend. If you eat carbs make sure they are 100% whole grain carbs.

PM if you need some encouragement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I found that there is always something healthy that everyone likes. Find what that is for you and eat that more.
Totally agree! If you crave sugar, fruit is a good substitute for candy and desserts. It can be very satisfying once you've been off the sweets for a little while. I really like organic fruit leathers or dried pineapple and cherries with pecans. I also don't 'crash' from natural sugar the way I do with refined.

Way to begin, getting off the soda!! Izze, RW Knudsen and GUS (Grown Up Soda) can take some of the pain out of giving up 'normal' soda. They're made with fruit juices. Places like Whole Foods or Wild Oats carry them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I use to weigh 435 and Im down to 290.... I have always tried alot of different diets, and I have come to one conclusion Fad diets always have given me the yo-yo effect...
The secret to any diet especially if your real heavy is The Hypoglycemic Index.. look it up or get a book, the foods on this chart range from 0 to 100...

heres what i did:

1. I only ate foods under 60 on the chart
2. I also purchased a tupaware plate that was divided in 3 (for portion control)
3. I ate 3 meals a day and one snack
4. Drink 64oz of water daily, no diet soda, crystal light etc.. you need to clean your system to loose weight at a steady rate.
5. MOST IMPORTANT: Exercise 30min to 1hr a day, walk whatever but you need to do it. its the KEY to weightloss.

Take one multi Viatamin daily, and try for 8hr of sleep (it helps trust me)

If you follow this method you will loose weight quickly and safely and it will remain off..
Try to stay away from ALL FRIED FOODS and FAST FOOD PERIOD

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz blackbook ,g4 cube, powerbook g4, 8gb iphone
1500 calories a day!...if your eating right..trust me it hard to get that. i do it every year...and being that its almost fall its my fav time of the year..BULKING SEASON.
so what do is, put on 15-20 lbs and winter fall...drop 5-10 in the spring i usually always add 5lbs of muscle a year.
i've been in the gym field for a while now..and i am a manager at a gym so if you guys (or ladies) need any help PM me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
Thats good stuff. I think one of the biggest problems is just trying to keep a steady and healthy diet, I find working out and lifting the easy part. Its so hard to pass up delicious food.

OP
spudd4242
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im not having any trouble staying off the pop.... ive had some sobe which isnt great. but its the late night urges being still in school im a late night person... but hey as long as i do what i can the results will show. My ideal weight is 250 thats 100 pounds... and ive given my self the whole school year to get there... so i will just keep you all updated and i plan on buying a .mac account and i will make a sight that tracks my progress so stay tuned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
Try and drink lots of water, I remember I rarely use to drink more than a glass a day. Now I drink probably 4 or 5 16oz bottles worth of it a day, sometimes more. Helps keep you filled up and can help from eating junk.

Reaction score
Good for you! I was in the same situation last year. I was 225 and 38% body fat. Today I'm 170 and 21% body fat, goal is to drop to 160 and sub 20% then add more muscle!

It's been tough, but easier than I thought. Here are some things that I wish I knew when I started my fat loss journey, but you've already got the most important part down - you want to change for yourself, not because someone told you you should.

1. Lift weights! Heavy and often. Go to www.bodybuilding.com and check out the Losing Fat forum, read the stickies and go from there. Cardio is great, but just cardio will leave you skinny fat, not where I wanted to be. Take it slow at first.

2. Count calories - some people don't agree with this - I do, but you don't have to do it always, just for a week or two then you have a great idea what you should be eating. (I'm eating 2000 cals a day, down from 2500 where I lost a steady 1-2 pounds a week, hit a plateau and dropped 500 cals to get through it). Use www.sparkpeople.com to track calories - easy free calorie counter - I don't trust sparkpeople's recommendations on how many cals I should be taking in see bodybuilding.com's stickies for that.

3. Eat 5-6 meals a day. I'm always eating and never hungry. It was hard to go from 2 meals a day (lunch and dinner) to 5/6 meals a day, so do it slow, ease into it, start with consistently getting 3 meals a day, then add a fourth and so on...

4. Don't worry about fat burners/diet pills - these can help MUCH later down the road, but the key to fat loss is DIET DIET and then DIET. Clean it up. The only pills I feel someone should take are a good multi-vitamin and fish oil pills when they first start.

5. Eat whatever you want - for 1 meal a week only. I'd go NUTS if I couldn't have Ukrops (grocery store where I live) potato wedges every so often, so I allow it once a week (usually friday or sat night).

6. Find substitutes for your favorite "bad" foods. I like pizza, now I make a whole wheat pizza dough, my own sauce and top it with italian turkey sausage. Delicious and only 400/500 cals. (PM me for recipe if you want).

That's a little more than I anticipated writing, and these are my OPINIONS only - always consult a physician if you have any concerns with your program.

Oh yeah - water is your friend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.