First Gremlin?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I've had my iMac for a few months now but last night something happened that I jsut couldnt understand and wonder if this is the first sign of potential hardware failure?

I have a 640GB Iomega USB drive and last night I was converting some films to MP4. I was able to write new files to the drive and I was able to rename them. However when I then tried to copy them to my PSP (by dragging and dropping) it wouldnt copy and the cursor just changed to a 'no entry' sign i.e. a circle with a diagonal line through it. Furthmore if I tried to put any files on that drive into the trash it just wouldnt delete them. So I could write to the drive, read from the drive but couldnt copy the data to another drive or delete it.

I tried verifying the drive and repairing permissions on it but both reports came up clean with nothing needing to be done. In the end the only way I could regain full access to the drive was by rebooting the iMac.

Any idea's what this means?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Your PSP is formatted NTFS. This means the Mac can read them, but not write to them. You have to reformat it in Disk Utility.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Nah not that. The PSP can only be formatted FAT32. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the PSP but that didnt make a difference and like I said, I couldnt even delete files of the Iomega drive which has nothing to do with the PSP at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Ah yes. I should have read your post more carefully because you can't write to NTFS either. D'oh!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.