Polygamy for skype and Msn Messenger for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Do you mean one app for the two programs? If so, haven't heard of anything yet, but I'm sure it could be done. Just wouldn't know where to start to do it myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
No, I believe he means getting more than one instance of the app running. (that feature is called "Polygamy")

I don't know any way to do it for Microsoft Messenger, and I don't use Skype.

I do know that for Adium, you can just duplicate the Adium app itself, and then you can launch the two copies.
The first time you do it, you need to hold Option when you start the app to make the "profile manager/chooser" appear, so that you can create more "profiles." (You need to create another profile for the 2nd copy of Adium running.) You can also check "Display on Startup" so that you don't need to hold Option every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
OHHHHH! Sorry, ummm, yeah I would try what 'remain' suggests. Right click, Duplcate, rename one as Skype1 or something, then try starting one and then the other...beyond that...if it's using the same ports on the computer...not sure if it will Work. I know I've used one skype account on the imac, one onthe pc, one on the macbook pro, and one on the netgear skype phone all at once on the same router, no issues.

Just not on the same computer.

I'll give it a try tonight, and post back if I succeed.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Actually, I also forget, you can sign in on more than 1 account in Adium (in the same user profile).

Not sure how it works though. (like when you send a message to someone, how it would determine which account it's sent from, etc.)

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks!

I just installed Adium. Very cool app. It gets the job done in terms of having multiple accounts of msn mesg etc open. Not sure about what happens when you send a mesg yet...

As for skype, the whole system is down today. So I'll test out that copy when they fix, whatever it is that broke.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well Skype is back up, but unfortunately the "making a copy" trick didn't work out. In windows you can make a copy and link it to another user account on your computer.

I posted the same question on the skype forum and eventually was led to this thread.
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=52890&hl=multiple+instances

It is possible and you do it in a similar way, by linking it to another user account on your computer...but the process ain't to pretty for the non-techie person.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.