How to convice my parents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Heya guys!

As you may know, I'm aged 15, so well, I don't really need the OK word from my parents buying a new iMac, but I could use some financial support (imagine yourself aged 15 going to buy an iMac, get the picture? ;) )

Could you list up some arguments why I should get this iMac?

My situation is like this:
- Old crap PC using right now, dieing slowly
- going to university next year to study in music and video edit
- desperato getting a new PC !!! :p

So could you help me out to convince them it's the right choice to go specific for the Mac (because a Windows would be around 600 euro's cheaper and still would handle the daily stuff right)

I serious need some money from them, because €1.500 is a bit much to just pay all yourself :p

Thanks mates!

Reaction score
well i told my parents that i needed a mac because of how much safer they are, and that pretty much won them over. Also tell them you won't have to upgrade your mac forever, and a good laptop is pretty much necessary at college because of all the stuff you have to type, e-mail to check, music and video editing software, blah blah blah.... worked for me haha got 2500$

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i told my parents that i needed a mac because of how much safer they are, and that pretty much won them over. Also tell them you won't have to upgrade your mac forever, and a good laptop is pretty much necessary at college because of all the stuff you have to type, e-mail to check, music and video editing software, blah blah blah.... worked for me haha got 2500$

Could I borrow your parents mate?

I am soo desperate for getting a little money,
wondering if they would give me anything at all... even when they do agree it is good for me to buy it, they don't have $2500 in a locker somewhere for these kind of things :p

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Tell them that if they dont let you go Mac that you will do drink, drugs and wild wimmen instead :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Tell him it has loads of educational software. If they later enquire about this software, just mumble and ask them how their day was.

Reaction score
Could I borrow your parents mate?

I am soo desperate for getting a little money,
wondering if they would give me anything at all... even when they do agree it is good for me to buy it, they don't have $2500 in a locker somewhere for these kind of things :p

My parents aren't rich by any stretch of the imagination, and i should have reworded that i got around 1000$ from them, the rest from my graduation party.... they just understand that it was a good investment that will last me a long time, that's the approach i would use with your parents.

Reaction score
Ok, as a parent and a teacher here, why don't you shoot for the Mac Mini? It would be perfect. Use your current keyboard, mouse and monitor. Why not?

Honestly, if you are headed for college, forget the iMac. You should be shooting for the MacBook Pro or the MacBook. It is very hard to haul an iMac to classes. You won't have room for two computers in a dorm room but one laptop will do the trick. I am sending my niece to college with a MacBook Pro (I talked my brother into buying it for her and he maintains PCs!!!). Safety and trouble free are the ticket for campuses. I tried to get my daughter switched to a Power Mac and a MacBook Pro but she insists she is a PC Gal. As an animator her programs are available for both but she is too hooked on the PC. There is hope for her yet as she is comfortable on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
250 HDD, 2 GHz Intel, C2D, 1GB RAM
It is very hard to haul an iMac to classes.

There is no need to bring a computer to class. This is why computer labs exist all over University campuses. As far as safety, what is more safe than keeping your iMac locked up in your dorm room? Carrying whatever computer/laptop you have all over campus is much less safe.

Also, the iMac will most likely last you the entire time you're attending the University. It will not need to be updated or replaced as often as I have seen the Mac Mini need to be.

Tell your parents that they are sending you to University as an investment in your future which is precisely what the iMac is; and it is a great, long-term investment at that too. Good luck!

Reaction score
There is no need to bring a computer to class. This is why computer labs exist all over University campuses. As far as safety, what is more safe than keeping your iMac locked up in your dorm room? Carrying whatever computer/laptop you have all over campus is much less safe.

Also, the iMac will most likely last you the entire time you're attending the University. It will not need to be updated or replaced as often as I have seen the Mac Mini need to be.

Tell your parents that they are sending you to University as an investment in your future which is precisely what the iMac is; and it is a great, long-term investment at that too. Good luck!

Well some people, like me, type a lot faster then they can right and i will be bringing my laptop to class to write notes..... also what is cooler then surfing the web during class? haha

Reaction score
15 and going to a university?!?! HOLY EFFIN COW! **** you must be smart. unless im missing something because of the difference in country.....if i did than i just made myself look stupid. haha.

Well i know what you mean, my parents were annoyed at the fact i wanted another computer, much less a Mac.
So i just ended up buying a really cheap g3 imac 700 off the internet with no support at all. And when they complained about updating their anti virus software and anti spyware, i would boast about not needing to do that. and all and all, its been 7 months, and my parents have since bought 4 macs for my brothers and sister, and are soon buying me an upgrade.

Reaction score
15 and going to a university?!?! HOLY EFFIN COW! **** you must be smart. unless im missing something because of the difference in country.....if i did than i just made myself look stupid. haha.

Well i know what you mean, my parents were annoyed at the fact i wanted another computer, much less a Mac.
So i just ended up buying a really cheap g3 imac 700 off the internet with no support at all. And when they complained about updating their anti virus software and anti spyware, i would boast about not needing to do that. and all and all, its been 7 months, and my parents have since bought 4 macs for my brothers and sister, and are soon buying me an upgrade.

School is different in Europe. University starts at grade 11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Take them to an Apple store (there's a couple in the Netherlands right?). They usually have a Mac pro hooked up to 2 30" screens with all the Pro apps on. Get Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro going and say "look, this is the sort of thing I'll be doing, and they only run on a Mac".

Maybe after they've seen the price of that system (and seen how nice the Apple store is... it's like they pump something through the air con so as soon as you walk in you want to spend some money... or is that just me?), they'll be OK with paying some monies towards an iMac.

Also, Apple handily provides a Persuade Your Parents Page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
After checking out the English version of that Persuasion page, I have to say I'm surprised that Apple didn't note that Mac is the choice of most serious creative professionals.

J

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is indeed very different when you go to University out here ;)

Thanks all for your reply,

As for getting a MacBook:
The things you get in the MacBook are way less than the iMac, the only thing you buy for all that money is the fact that you can take it with you every time you go out of your house,

But as for the fact I'm going to life on my own nearby my University, I could just take a pencil with, and I can tell you: they have hundreds of PC's there, and since Apple has Office 2004 on it, you can make some documents at school and send em to your own mail, and have them on your Mac, right?!!

I shall just mail them the link you gave me Levi, (btw funny you already gave the Dutch link :p )

So again: thanks for all hints tips and useless message's, but I love useless stuff :D

Reaction score
I'm 12 and getting a macbook, I;m paying for it myself on consumer financing.

£40/€60 a month for 24 months.

Im paying this by getting a paper round.

Since your 15 i don't know what jobs you can get in where you live, but a job better paid than a paper round?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is indeed one of the options,
but you pay way more for your product when you get consumer financing, they don't do that for fun :p

I work atm in a factory, 32 hours a week, and I've saved lots and lots already, but still a push in the back is nice, because if I have any money left, I could start saving for another thing again you see?

But the pay-out in The Netherlands is for every hour for 15 years old €3, that would make 2 pounds,

Making a fortune with that is hard, trust me :p

Reaction score
lol, I wish i could have a decent job!

I know you do pay lots more its £123/€181 more just interest which is gay gay gay..

oh well i keep telling myself, when im in the rain doing my paper round, "think of the white shinyness of the smexy macbook"

:D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha :p

But wondering, why do you go for the MacBook, I won't think you need any in class because your are 12 ;) (not negative about you, but it's just true ;) ) (or the British have become nuts :p they did so well... nahhh kidding :p )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
That is indeed one of the options,
but you pay way more for your product when you get consumer financing, they don't do that for fun :p

I work atm in a factory, 32 hours a week, and I've saved lots and lots already, but still a push in the back is nice, because if I have any money left, I could start saving for another thing again you see?

But the pay-out in The Netherlands is for every hour for 15 years old €3, that would make 2 pounds,

Making a fortune with that is hard, trust me :p
3€ lol, where do you work :S. 2years ago I worked as a 16yo (in Belgium) and I made 10€/hour.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.