Stop iTunes importing without using "Force/Quit"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
I've seen one other person post on this topic: I have approximately 1000 cd's and am in the process of importing a good chunk of them into my new MacBook. I have noticed on occasion that if I'm working with an older disc that has a scratch on it, iTunes may freeze up in the middle of importing that song. I've tried simply unchecking the check box next to that tune but it does not bring the program to a stop. Nothing else does either. I would say that out of the 300 albums I've imported so far I've had to use force/quit about ten times and then restart iTunes. Of course, I always try to clean my discs as well as I can before importing, but you can't catch everything. Is there any other way to stop iTunes from importing a track after it has already frozen? Anything other than force/quit just gives me a pinwheel that goes on forever (it literally ran all night on one occasion.)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
I can't believe no one else has encountered this?.....:eek:

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Well you guys have been really helpful. Thanks for nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
well before you give up i'll try and help. also with this forum and most other forums have some patients as your question may not be answered instantly.

the only thing i can suggest to try is run disk utility. repair the disk permissions it could be something to do with itunes and preferences.

or try

removing the itunes entry in the library and keep and backup of it say on your desktop. restart the computer and see if it helps. if it works you can delete the backup file.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Command-period does not work. Any other suggestions?.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Are you checking the "use disk correction" box before trying to import those old scratched CDs?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Nope. Have never had it checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Maybe you should try checking it?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
I have tried it. While it does help to import some damaged tracks, others are still beyond repair and, when iTunes locks up, having this button checked or unchecked makes no difference whatsoever. Thanks for at least trying to help. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Well, the more people I've talked to it sounds like this is just a fluke with iTunes: everyone I've talked to says that there is nothing you can do but force/quit... bummer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well you guys have been really helpful. Thanks for nothing.

Bit harsh... if there is no real solution, no one is going to post anything.

What I can suggest is that with discs you know are damaged, make the disc speed as slow as possible when importing, maybe to the point of literally doing it at 1x speed.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Bit harsh... if there is no real solution, no one is going to post anything.

What I can suggest is that with discs you know are damaged, make the disc speed as slow as possible when importing, maybe to the point of literally doing it at 1x speed.

Thanks. I guess that is the last thing to do. And yes, I was harsh. I was in a foul mood but shouldn't have taken it out on people here...
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.