Your opinion about the Canon PIXMA MP510?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
I just ordered my first Macbook yesterday (applause ;D )and the guy talked me into upgrading to the Canon PIXMA MP510 printer. I saw that there were a lot of mixed reviews on the Apple website and was just wondering if anyone else here has that printer and what they think of it. I read some reviews online and all, but I like personal opinions better.

Thanks guys!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just ordered my first Macbook yesterday (applause ;D )and the guy talked me into upgrading to the Canon PIXMA MP510 printer. I saw that there were a lot of mixed reviews on the Apple website and was just wondering if anyone else here has that printer and what they think of it. I read some reviews online and all, but I like personal opinions better.

Thanks guys!

I have an MP500 (the predecessor to the MP510) and I just love it. The ink is reasonably priced, easy to refill and the printer works very well - either in "standalone" mode (where you can attach your camera directly to it) or attached to a computer.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a Canon printer. They are excellent.

OP
januhhh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
awesome, thank you. i saw some review that said the 500 was better than the 510 and they listed a few reasons, but i am sure the 510 will be fine. the guy on the phone told me to get that one because you can replace the color and black ink cartriges seperately instead of replacing them all at one time.

did you buy the cable from apple or did you go to wal-mart or something to get them? i thought it was strange that it didn't already come with the cable for the computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
awesome, thank you. i saw some review that said the 500 was better than the 510 and they listed a few reasons, but i am sure the 510 will be fine. the guy on the phone told me to get that one because you can replace the color and black ink cartriges seperately instead of replacing them all at one time.

did you buy the cable from apple or did you go to wal-mart or something to get them? i thought it was strange that it didn't already come with the cable for the computer.

I used an old USB cable I had laying around at work. You can use just about any USB cable you want to, it doesn't have to be special in any way.

Printers, historically, have never come with cables. The reason for it is that there is little profit margins on the printer itself, so the retailer makes up for it in the cost of the cable, which tend to be high margin items.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.