New iMac...USB/preamp/interface question

Reaction score
Hi folks,

New iMac user here. First trip to Mac land, and lovin' the machine:)

Ok, I'll be getting an Mbox soon, but in the meantime....

I have a Joe Meek VC3Q. It's a mic pre/EQ processor. It has 1/4" outputs only. They are mono, but that's not an issue right now. What I need to know is this: Is there a way for me to adapt the 1/4" output to a USB connector at the input end (going into the iMac). All I'm looking to do right now is record an acoustic guitar track thru an AT4050, into the VC3Q and onto a track in Garageband. Maybe this isn't possible at all:Grimmace:

Thx!

Geoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
geoff, ive never seen a 1/4" to USB adapter. also, even if you managed to make one or something, garageband isnt going to detect it as an input device most likely, as something like this would not be supported.

your best bet is probably to just wait and get your mbox, and with it and a preamp, you should be getting some great recordings.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured this was probably the case, but was hoping for a workaround. I should have an Mbox within the month, so I'll wait...impatiently:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
1/4" to USB would not work. You could do 1/4" to the size of the microphone input.

Sound cables carry analog signals where USB carry digital. A converter, like the mbox is required.

OP
G
Reaction score
1/4" to USB would not work. You could do 1/4" to the size of the microphone input.

Sound cables carry analog signals where USB carry digital. A converter, like the mbox is required.

I'll try the miniplug adapter. I have a couple around. I just want to make a quick, decent sounding demo of an acoustic guitar. The onboard mic isn't up to the task. Didn't expect it to be, although it sounded better than I expected.

So...will Garageband see the input when I select "real instrument" off the menu? I guess I'll find out. Thx again:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'll try the miniplug adapter. I have a couple around. I just want to make a quick, decent sounding demo of an acoustic guitar. The onboard mic isn't up to the task. Didn't expect it to be, although it sounded better than I expected.

So...will Garageband see the input when I select "real instrument" off the menu? I guess I'll find out. Thx again:Cool:

I haven't used Garageband but a hand full of times. My guess that is if it doesn't, you'll probably have to select the input type on the track itself as well. That's how most recording software operates...

OP
G
Reaction score
I haven't used Garageband but a hand full of times. My guess that is if it doesn't, you'll probably have to select the input type on the track itself as well. That's how most recording software operates...

Yeah, with Garageband you choose a new track and select the input from a dropdown window. Haven't had time to try it yet. Hopefully later today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.