What antivirus software to use?

Reaction score
My new iMac will be here in a couple of days. I need to know what anti-virus software is best to use. I will be running Windows XP on my Mac.
Do I buy anti-virus software for Mac or for Windows? And will it cover both? This is all new to me.

OP
P
Reaction score
anti-virus software?

I am more confused now than ever. I had run a search and read most of these posts before. Being a 20 yr. Windows user I am used to anti-virus programs. But when I read they could slow down your Mac or cause an internal panic, or whatever, it makes me very nervous.
And my main question was do I get Windows software or Mac? If I install Mac anti-virus program does it cover Windows as well and If I install Windows anti-virus program does it cover Mac?
This Intel Mac is all new to me. :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
For Windows (regardless of whether it's installed on a PC or on a Mac),
you use Windows anti-virus software.

For Mac OS X,
you use Mac OS X anti-virus software.

A lot of people on these forums will probably tell you that anti-virus software for Mac OS X is mostly unnecessary.
And I think so too.

As for Windows anti-virus software, get AVG Free Edition: http://free.grisoft.com/
(Do not buy that slow, resource-hungry hunk of junk Norton.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I would recommend Avast antivirus and Zonealarm firewall. They both are free off their websites, and work beautifully. I haven't had a problem with my Windows computer for 2 years with these running. The one year i had Norton Internet Security, i had about 4 crashes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would STRONGLY recommend ClamAV. This free open source AV does a wonderful job. I wish I had kept the article, but a recent news story in the Dallas Morning News (of all places) reported on a "shoot out" amongst AV programs. Only Symantec AV and ClamAV were able to correctly detect all the virus' that were used in the test. That says it all to me.

See:

http://www.clamxav.com/

for the Mac OS X version. It is available for Mac, PC and of course, Linux (where I believe it got its start).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
i would recommend to lay back and relax...there is no problem on ur mac with viruses...just enjoy it...at least i do!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
There no known Mac viruses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.