• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My Fancy New Vizio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Hey everyone. I just picked up this 26" Vizio LCD HDTV at Wal-Mart for my dorm. I thought I'd show it off.

My camera isn't that good, so I apologize for the quality.

Here's King Kong in HDDVD:
IMAG0423.jpg

And here's the best part:
IMAG0405.jpg

I'd like to hear what you all think!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
looks nice how much was it?

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
$450, cheapest 26" I could find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
yeah thats basically exactly what i will be buying when i move into my dorm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
I wish you could get those in Europe :( Awesome TV!

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used a mini-DVI to VGA adapter to connect my MacBook to it and OS X is so crisp, sharp, and vibrant on the Vizio that my MacBook's display looks dull. I had to play around with it so that it would display the dock and menubar and icons for some reason. I don't know why it only displayed the background at first.

Reaction score
We use Vizio's in my line of business eg. Corporate conventions, trade show booths, concerts...

They are very nice units. These things can take a beating. We've shipped ours cross country and back and only one dead unit (someone kicked it over). In fact we just bought 16 more 32" on top of the 18 we already have.

I would've opted for the 32" for only $150 more. But you are in a dorm so I can see how space is limited. That and I'm a ***** for big screens.

Congrats and enjoy (although that goes without saying)

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would've opted for the 32" for only $150 more. But you are in a dorm so I can see how space is limited.

Yeah that's pretty much why I didn't go for the 32". As a matter of fact, I could have bought a 32" Scott LCD HDTV for the same price using my RadioShack employee discount but it would have consumed too much space and I'd never heard of Scott TVs before. I'd rather sacrifice 6" to stick to a brand that I've heard good things about.

I actually didn't like Vizio on the past, but people told me that they are the best TVs you can get in that price range.

EDIT: I'll give imaginary money to whoever can tell me the two movie posters I have behind the TV. It shouldn't be too hard to see what they are.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My friends have a 42" Vizio in their front room and the thing looks so good! I was amazed. He has HD Sat from Dish and it's stunning. I got to mess with 2 of the 32" Vizio and was equally impressed. Really good HDTV's and fair prices.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The funny thing is that I did this same post on the HighDefForum and I've only had one reply, but the guy spent more time talking about how much he likes Macs than what he thought of the TV.

Edit: Something makes me believe that I may have inadvertantly started a Mac vs. PC flame war over there. Stay tuned.

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=48337

Note that I've been a member of that forum longer than I've been a member of this forum but have many fewer posts over there. Mainly because the people over there aren't as friendly as they are at Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
My sis picked up a 42" Vizio LCD HDTV. With the exception of the cheap plastic speakers that bolt to the bottom, it's a very nice tv. Luckily, the speakers come off(they are part of the stand, if I remember correctly). She never planned to use the attached speakers anyway, so I removed them and mounted the tv on the wall for her, and hid all the cabling in the wall behind. So far, she loves it. It's a pretty elegant, classy looking thing - with the speakers removed, all you see is just the shiny black bezel surround. Most tv's this nice are at least double the price. I believe she only paid $1100 for it at Costco.

I was hesitant to recommend it to her at first because I wasn't familiar with the Vizio brand name, but I'll readily admit it's an excellent product when it's low price is taken into consideration. If you are on a budget and want a flat panel tv, this is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini, 1.25ghz 120gb hdd AP/BT combo drive and 23" cinema display and 20" imac, 250gb 2.16ghz 1gb
is using the vga port on your lcd tv better than using dvi to hdmi cable??

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is using the vga port on your lcd tv better than using dvi to hdmi cable??

Probably not, but it's cheaper and that's why I did it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Very Very Nice! Glad to know someone who bought one that likes it. I saw these in Sam's Club and was wondering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Congrats! Looks real sharp!!

Its kinda ironic that theres a dell advert. on a mac forum. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
That's awesome dude!

Funny, I was just looking at this tv today and thinking of buying it. Pictures pretty good then?

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pictures pretty good then?

Yes it is. I hooked up a cheap set of rabbit ears to try out the OTA HD channels and they blew my mind. (That's right, it doesn't matter what type of antenna you have to watch HD content. Digital is digital.) I actually watched golf on CBS yesterday and drooled at the quality of it. I could almost count the blades of grass. Absolutely amazing. IMHO, OTA broadcasts beat out any next-gen video discs or Cable and Satellite HD broadcasts. It's strange but true. I don't know how the best stuff comes from an antenna with coax.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.