• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

this is what i get for buying a winbox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i bought a great home built machine for $500, it was a good deal, ran most games well enough for me, then the motherboard screws up. now im out $500 and i will end up selling it for $200. i could replace the motherboard but im in an eff it mood. I should just stick to Mac 100%. Guess i could buy a Powermac g4 or g5 in a few months after i buy a car. This stuff sucks. Oh well, i think it is just the way it is supposed to be, im not meant to use Windows. I try to look at it as a cleansing, lol. end rant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
what happened to the mobo

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
first it was a Grub error then it wont even boot that far. i have tried to reinstall but no luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
A motherboard failure can happen in any computer.

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shhh i still blame it on Windows, :p. (i know it can happen in any computer, it just seems that i have less luck with windows machines)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
MB should still be covered under manufacturer waranty if it isnt that old
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you try to reset the bios ? The grub error is from having linux installed. As it's a bootloader. I did have the machine in a dual boot configuration. I have had 0 problems with the machine. you might try resetting the bios, pulling out the battery and moving the yellow jumper over to the right. Turn it on, it'll run for a few seconds and either shut down or start beeping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
cool hair ghostshadow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
first it was a Grub error then it wont even boot that far. i have tried to reinstall but no luck

Sounds more like an HD error then the motherboard. If it was getting to GRUB, your MB was POSTing fine and then starting GRUB at which point it was erroring out. GRUB can be kind of twitchy at times, so it could have just been a problem with that (on one of my computers if I leave a usb flash drive connected, GRUB will error out on reboot).

If you tried then to install Windows, it would have overwritten the MBR and you wouldn't have access to GRUB any more (it's an OSS bootloader used by Linux and the like, and Windows doesn't check for it, just rewrites the MBR).

If you have another hard drive around I'd try putting that in and seeing if you can get it to work that way.

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont know what yellow wire you speak of, but i took the battery out and put it back in and it didnt help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
if its hang up at a grub error your ide cables may be backwards. trade your cd & hd connecting cables

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did change the hardware boot loader when it was working enough to go into the bios, maybe i messed it up more if those cables were backwards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are yellow jumpers, they are plastic pieces almost next to the battery.

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's alive!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks ghost, it worked

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.