• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Check Those Puppies Out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey guys & gals of the Mac Forums,

I just came across a post on craigslist for 5.5 weeks old puppies rescued and in a shelter near by me.

The problem is I don't know squat about the breed but they do look adorable. The posting says that they are an Akita & Basset Mix. I live in a 2 Br apartment so all the excersice the puppy would be getting is when I walk him out, which will be as much as possible. But my concern is how big would they get (Can't have a dog more than 40# as per my apartment rule book :\)and any known behavioral issues with those breeds.

Thought I should as before I give the shelter a call. Here is a Picture by the way of all the 4 puppies.

EDIT: After look back at the post, it said that their mother is an Akita/Basset Mix and she is about 30#!

rescued_puppies_for_adoption-20070809-235734.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
They look part husky to me.. I don't know dogs, but yeah.

Reaction score
They look like a cross between labs and chinese chow chows. Kinda cute. They do have a husky or alaskan mamalute look to them too thou, just without the colors of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Yes, how adorable!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I Love Dogs Give Them To Me Now!!!!

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL... yes they look great. And I am dying to go pick on up this weekend. But I am too worried about how big are they gonna get :\

What do you guys and gals think? Willl they be too big for an apartment living?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
My guess is about 60lbs or so. They'll probably be over the 40, but not by a too terrible amount.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks VI.

I am actually gonna go check them out right now. They are just GORGEOUS. I'll post some pictures as soon as I come back home

GOD I am so Excited :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd say Chow also. Chows can be nasty sometimes, I'd rather have to deal with a pitt bull sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'd say Chow also. Chows can be nasty sometimes, I'd rather have to deal with a pitt bull sometimes.

Really? I'd rather deal with a pitbull any day of the week as the majority I know that are raised properly are some of the best behaved and most loyal dogs I know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? I'd rather deal with a pitbull any day of the week as the majority I know that are raised properly are some of the best behaved and most loyal dogs I know.

Thats what I'm saying, I'd rather have to deal with 90% of the pitt bulls out there than a Chow.

Reaction score
My Akita Heeler mix (Ceaser) ways nearly 100 pounds. They need only about an hour of exercise a day. One thing to remember is that an Akita chooses a master for life so if you are not sure you can keep it don't get one because it will never warm up to anyone else after it gets to know you.

http://www.japanese-akita.info/History.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akita_Inu

They don't really do the story justice here but thats the best I could do on a 30 min lunch. They are great dogs, very smart, very loyal, very very very stubborn.

Mine is very well mannered inside. He is big so he bumps into stuff but thats about it.

M

MacHeadCase

*Phew!*

Mina, my man, you scared me! I thought this was going to be another iMac unboxing affair.

*Wipes sweat from brow* :p

Nice lil' fellas there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
ROFL ~ MHC, how dare Mina use "puppies" literally! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We did a c-section today on a St. Bernard. She had 10 puppies, all quite large. Beautiful dogs, wish I could have one, but I already have a full grown st. bernard. Unfortunately, mom died when we were finishing the surgery. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
My mind was in the gutter as usual......nice puppies MMM. Youre not going to have all of them in an apartment I hope. Puppies can be troublesome. I have a 4 month old at home ta the moment and the toilet training.....ughhhh! And she like to chew on my wooden coffee table corners. I cured that though - I went to the pet shop and bought her some pig ears to chew - she loves them. Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
yeah, those things are definitely getting over 40. Akita's I think range up to 70ish (most are pretty muscular) and a healthy basset should be about 45-55 (mine 2 year old is about 48ish). Both breeds are going to require a lot of exercise though and probably wont be a good apartment dog. People think bassets are lazy dogs, which they are some of the time, but they also have tuns of energy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I went to the pet shop and bought her some pig ears to chew - she loves them. Good luck

find some merrick treats (flossies and their jerky bones) they'll last much longer than pig ears and are healthier. Also, get teething toys, thats why she's chewing on everything most likely

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.