file sharing & remote access

G

gkiely72

I use an"alcatel speedtouch pro" router
to connect to my broadband service through my ethernet.
this works well for me.
However if i use somthing like limewire.
nobody can access the files i have allocated to share ,I have setup the prefferences correctly .
so far have been told that because i use a router that my mac cannot be acessed because it acts as a Firewall,
Where this becomes a problem ,is that i would like to set up my remote access ,
but this pointless unless i can access my mac. is there a way for me to get around my router. so i can control my mac from...... work for instance

:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
How do you mean Remote Access? Do you mean telnet/ssh or Apples Remote Desktop?

You will probably need to open the right port on your firewall to let the packets in. I know Limewire needs a specific port open. I don't know what it is, but if you do a search on google.com with like "limewire port open usage" that type of stuff, you should be able to pull it up very easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Just found this on limewire.com :

Port:
Each application on a computer that communicates on the net has a specific port number assigned to it. On most servents, the default port for Gnutella is 6346. This means that a servent running gnutella software is listening on port 6346. However, the user can change the port that is assigned to Gnutella on his computer, and he will still be able to communicate with other servents that are listening on port 6346.

So unless you changed anything, I woul d open 6346 TCP/UDP on your firewall.

OP
M

MacMachine

ok my question is. I am behind a firewall and that port isn't open? How do I find out which ports are open to use with limewire?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.