Help please!

Reaction score
I got this old Powerbook from my father a few weeks ago (he hardly used it) and I've started to catch up with mac stuff. However I'm having a hard time finding any programs because it runs with OS X 10.2.8 and I don't have any money to upgrade. I found a few programs that are compatible but it seems that they are not very stable, is that related to the fact that the OS is old? Also, many of the programs that are supposed to be compatible with this version don't even run when I start them (the icon pops up on the dock, jumps a few times then disappears), what can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Get 10.2.9 at least, by selecting the Apple menu and clicking 'Software Update'. Sure, 10.2.9 doesn't exist, but that will let you run more programs.

But, still, it is indeed related to the OS being old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Get 10.2.9 at least, by selecting the Apple menu and clicking 'Software Update'. That will let you run more programs.

There was no 10.2.9.

M

MacHeadCase

Get 10.2.9 at least, by selecting the Apple menu and clicking 'Software Update'. That will let you run more programs.

But, still, it is indeed related to the OS being old.

Wrong info. Like technologist, said, there never was any 10.2.9 release.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There was no 10.2.9.

Exactly, 10.2.8 was the final point update for Jaguar. There were some security patches but no more updates. There are some newer apps that do not support 10.2 at all. If you can check ebay and purchase a copy of 10.3 Panther. Most everything should run on it and I have seen 10.3 at quite low prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.