• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iMac G5

I

iPod

I heard that they stopped shipping iMac G4s to stores. Could they maybe be bringing out a whole new line?????? Even a new design??????

OP
I

iPod

I think you misunderstood me, I mean G5 IMACS, not powerbooks or 3 gig powermacs. What else would they be doing if they stopped shipping the iMacs?

OP
N

Nightblade

I know they didn't specifically say "Don't look for G5 IMACS in the near future", but the entire thing is is that Apple's hardware technicians are actually struggling to find a way to make a compact G5 of any kind. That is, an iBook, a Powerbook, an eMac, or an iMac. It's like it's hard for them to contain the power! Now unless a PowerMac G5 with a tiny built-in monitor counts as an iMac to you, don't expect any G5s before 2004 that don't come in the shape of a PowerMac. They just haven't found a way to contain the power (or something like that).

I know it seems likely since they've stopped the production of the G4 iMacs, but I really doubt it. They stopped G4 iMac production to promote the new 2.5 Ghz G5 Powermac model, mainly.

See this story: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...c/newg5sannouncedno3ghzorg5laptopsanytimesoon

So, while it is likely that a G5 iMac will be the next form of a G5 to come out, it still won't be for awhile. :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think the reason why, Apple stop sending out iMac G4s, is because they are changing the form factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
we may see iMac G5 sooner then you think, chek it out at mac-rumors.its been 6 months since last iMac update and if you look at history of apple products updates, it will give you a hint...
and since iMacs always had better CPUs then eMacs and now the resently updated eMacs reached iMacs 1.25GHz there will be CPU change in iMacs, thats for sure. and since portables went to 1.5GHz and iMac-s not, it definetly speaks for upcoming iMac G5

OP
N

Nightblade

You got a point there, actually. I just still don't know if Apple currently has the technology to make one...Unless they've been bluffing this whole time about not being able to make it just to make the G5 seem holy and sacred, like it can't be compact. I'm just joking. I ASSUME they're telling the truth.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Your all fools. Apple is going to ship the new iMac's with a 62000 processor, and it will run System 7! (Steve never said System 7 was dead, only OS 9...)

No, really, I think the new iMac's will still have a G4, but they will be redesigned. It's been LONGER than 6 months since the last iMac update (in November, they made the 20" iMac, not updating the specs, that's not really a huge update. Plus, my friend got an iMac in April, it came with Jaguar preinstalled. It's been a while.)

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

Another thing. The iBook is now BEATING the iMac in RAM. I think they're definitely going to up that in the next update. It's definitely going to be something not to miss. I'll still stick with my good ol' 15 incher though. *pats it*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Heh, neat. In the new issue of MacWorld there are neat pics of a possible G5 Powerbook concept :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think the new imacs will still be g4 as well...

They'll keep the g4 around for the next imac and powerbook revisions and from then on it'll be g5 all the way ('cept for the ibooks and emacs of course)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.