• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Michael Yon - The Truth in Iraq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/

I thought I would share a blog that I read a lot. It's the blog of Michael Yon, an ex military man turned reporter. He's been embedded with troops in Iraq for several years and does so independantly of any news networks, so that's probably why not many people have heard of him. A lot of his dispatches are about the troops and the companies that he is embedded with and have a lot more to tell as opposed to most large news channels.

"Today 20 people were killed in Iraq"

Is the typical thing that we hear over here, not about military actions and how our troops are doing the best they can to improve life over there despite the politicians bickering over here, doing what they can to further their own personal agendas.

He has everything in there, including the reality of death and how soldiers cope with it and the ceremonies that hold to honor and respect their friends lost in combat.

It's really an amazing read and there's sooooo many dispatches now. Be warned of two things if you click that link. Not everything is roses and sunshine, some of the things may be upsetting to some people. That and if you do start reading the dispatches, you'll probably not want to quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
Wow, you really meant it. The first picture is of a solder holding a bloody baby.

I'm a bit hesitant to start reading because I know I'll get wrapped up in it but we'll see...

Thanks.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Wow, you really meant it. The first picture is of a solder holding a bloody baby.

I'm a bit hesitant to start reading because I know I'll get wrapped up in it but we'll see...

Thanks.

That photo won TIME's photo of the year for 2005, as well as being the subject of a nomination for a pulitzer. Recently publisher HFM has been caught up in copyright issues by illegally using the photo and doing so in a negative light.

It was a photo of a soldier carrying an Iraqi girl that was wounded by a car bomb to a helicopter in order to get her to an American hospital in an attempt to save her life. Unfortunately she didn't make it past the helicopter ride.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
well I started reading and now I can't stop. Gates of Fire is a great article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Thanks for posting this. I have friends who've forwarded emails from soldiers they know over there, but this is even more informative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.