• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What software do I need to copy a DVD?

Reaction score
This is not a piricy question. It is a DVD I shot myself.

OK, I need to copy this. Normally I use handbreak to rip and idvd to burn. But I don't want to degrade the quality. Some important people need a copy of this. When I use mac the ripper, It rips and now I need to burn it. So I burn the two folders using the os but it won't play.

What software do I need for a full rip and good burn as a playable dvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well if it's a DVD you shot yourself you could just copy the DVD using Disk Utility. No need to do all the ripping and stuff.

Reaction score
What's the size of the VIDEO_TS folder? If it will fit on a DVD-R then you can convert the VIDEO_TS folder to a .IMG file with DVD Imager and burn that with Disc Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
if you have toast you can just burn the video_ts folder... you don't need to burn the audio_ts folder, I'm not even sure why they put that in there

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.