• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Newbie help!!

Reaction score
i am a newbie and i have a 2nd hand ibook G3 i purchased from ebay a few months back, and yesturday i got a airport and i have wirless internet now!

my spec is:

Mac OS X
Version 10.4.10
Processor: 500 MHz PowerPC G3
Memory 256 MB SDRAM

is this good, if not how can i back it better (Free)

comment Back please :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i am a newbie and i have a 2nd hand ibook G3 i purchased from ebay a few months back, and yesturday i got a airport and i have wirless internet now!

my spec is:

Mac OS X
Version 10.4.10
Processor: 500 MHz PowerPC G3
Memory 256 MB SDRAM

is this good, if not how can i back it better (Free)

comment Back please :D

There's really nothing you can do that will be completely free. The best thing you could do would be to put more memory in it. The maximum for the G3 iBook (according to Crucial.com) is 640MB. So the best thing you could do is replace the existign 256MB module with a 512MB. That would bring you up to a modest 576MB or 640MB, depending on how much memory is built into the systemboard (Crucial seems to think it's either 64MB or 128MB). OS X Tiger (10.4) generally likes at least 1GB (1024MB), so although you can't go up that high, you can get close enough to make the machine more usable.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well i didnt realy understand that, get bigger memory, but i can't get much bigger?? is that right

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i didnt realy understand that, get bigger memory, but i can't get much bigger?? is that right

Yes, you can add more memory. You currently have a 256MB memory module. You can replace it with a 512MB memory module to double the amount of memory.

This should yield better performance even though it's not ideal.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok,thinking of seling for about £150ish and getting and puting more cash and getting a powerbook G4

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok,thinking of seling for about £150ish and getting and puting more cash and getting a powerbook G4

Not a bad plan, the G3 is a fairly old machine these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I don't like buying out of date machines simply because I like to keep my computers for years and years. Previous to my macbook I just had hand me down computers and was more than willing to spend a little more than a thousand for a nice new computer.

Basically, what I am telling you is instead saving up to buy another out of date computer, if you can, save up and buy a new or refurbished one. I think it will suit you better.

OP
J
Reaction score
But i am a 15 year old student and dont have much money lol, not that easy now is it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.