Software Updates...

Reaction score
Hello, I bought a new Macbook this weekend and have been fiddling with it since (my first Mac). Great machine! I may never go back to Windows again. Anyways, I am still very new and have many questions. My first is a concern brought to me (probably because of my Windows experience) is the software updates. A lot of the time on windows I would do updates to my software (including iTunes), and the newer version will be full of bugs, slower, or not work properly...thus making me regret having done the upgrade. For example when I first bought my iPod my iTunes ran GREAT, and then I updated it some time later and it's now slow as christmas (on my windows pc). I was wondering if you all do the software updates (or if you recommend them), and if there are any updates I shouldn't do, due to making the programs worse instead of better?

*Also, please don't hound me for this question, I promise I used the search key but couldn't find the specific thread I was looking for. How do I transfer my iTunes library from PC to Mac?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I let Software Update do whatever it thinks it needs to do, and have yet to have any kind of problem. Oh, sure there's the occasional long and or double boot on restart from time to time, but my Mac has always come back to being my faithful servant.

Now, from time to time you'll see someone posting something somewhere that 10.4.X broke something that worked prior to whatever update occurred, but I have yet to encounter any of these issues. I get the idea that whatever issue these people might be having is more because it was going to happen anyway, and an update just happened to occurr near the time it did.

So in short, I mostly trust Apple's updates. Haven't failed me yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
To answer your 2nd question...

I would move the music from your ipod to your mac rather than from your pc to your mac

Use Senuti

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks both of you. I would like to get as many opinions/experiences as I can for the Software Updates...I guess Windows has left me a bitter taste of not trusting my computer. But if my Mac experience continues to be as good as it has these first two days, I may have found a cure.

Thanks for the Senuti, that's the program I now remember people talking about in the other thread (that I couldn't find).

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright, I got my songs on iTunes and I realized my iPod is still set or "programmed" for windows. How do I change that to Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I'm not completely sure but I think clicking 'Restore' in the iPod's tab in iTunes will do it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
trust the updates and use them. most of the time they fix bugs that are in the older versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yep, nothing to worry about with software update. Updating is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
most of the software updates are bug free. In certain occasions you may face unexpected behavior not because of Apple software updates are buggy but because of third party Apps / Plug-ins are incompatible after the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Alright, I got my songs on iTunes and I realized my iPod is still set or "programmed" for windows. How do I change that to Mac?
It's probably too late but you should of followed this instead:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/movetomac/ipod.html

Detailed steps for moving your libary and I don't know if that Senuti program did this but following that above link would of saved your play count, ratings, and everything else. :)

To format your iPod to Mac format, the above link helps you with that too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.