• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Making a DVD full of trailers

H

harvester

I have a lot of DVDs and I wanted to put all the trailers onto one DVD. I was wondering how I can rip JUST the trailer from a DVD and then put it into iDVD or something and burn a DVD with all the trailers on it. Im using OSX. any suggestions? thanks!

-Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well not legally. All DVDs have copy protection on them. Your best bet is to instead goto here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/ .

Then you can just download the quicktime versions and use iMovie or iDVD to put them all together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Ripping is not necessarily illegal. You can find tons of information about this at http://dvdrhelp.com and http://doom9.net.

Ultimately what you will wanna do is find a ripper you like that works, and find the title # on the DVD that has the trailer you are looking for. Then you just rip that one trailer. Do the same for the rest. Then you need to convert them to MPG, and then burn them with Toast. This can take a long time. The conversion can take hours for each trailer. There are obviously other steps involved.

Keep in mind it took me 2 weeks to get something to burn correctly at the right aspect ratio and with all the other right settings. This is 2 weeks FULL-TIME. So you gotta do some research.

The easiest way is what schweb said. Goto Apple.com/trailers and get the quicktime, then let iDVD mess with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
converting them didnt take me as long as compressing them, although both are long processes.

if the trailers are already in .vob format and seperate from the main title track, then you shouldnt need to convert them since they are probably small files and you can fit several of them on one dvd.

OP
H

harvester

Yea, Ive gone through a lot research last night and most things Ive tried work but nothing will rip it as a video file with audio. I have to do 2 files, one with audio and one with video. Then nothing sync's up right. I have a lot of movies too and most I can't find trailers for on apple.com/trailers. It seems that the easiest way would be for me to just capture the video/audio on the other mac [which has composite inputs and outputs] then transfer it to this mac and edit/convert till I have all of them and burn them.
is there a cheap but good A/D firewire device that I can hook up to this mac? Only ones I know of cost around $250-$500

Thanks for all the info!

-Jamie

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I haven't managed to get any of the free DVD rippers working fully but I have downloaded a 2+ hour video CD film to my iMac using a DV camera to convert the video signal to DV, then importing it into Final Cut Express (you can also do it with iMovie) then exporting it as Mpeg4 with medium quality settings.

The final file size was 672Mb which is slightly too big for a CD-R but I will try again with higher quality settings (my aim is to get the file size to be just big enough to fit on a DVD-R so I can make copies of all my old VCD format films which Ican't get on DVD.

I will only be able to play them back on my computer using QT but that is better than losing them completely as my CDI player could give up the ghost any day (it is nearly ten years old).

One word of warning, the film (Rain Man) created 30 Gb of DV footage and the rendering to Mpeg4 took 1.5 hours.

iDVD has a limit of 1.5 hours on pojects it can burn to DVD-R so it is currently not possible to copy full DVD films to DVD-R on an "as-delivered" Mac even if you wanted to (which I know noone here would want to do ;)), the restriction is a time one rather than file size so even if you reduce the image quality or sound quality it will still refuse to burn it to DVD.

If I were you I would investigate the possibility of copying the trailers using the method I described and saving them as one long iMovie project with chapter keys then just burn it as a DVD project, that way you will get all your trailers on a single DVD with an automatic trailer selection menu. There is a limit on chapters in iDVD btw about 15 IIRC.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Originally posted by Amen-Moses I haven't managed to get any of the free DVD rippers working fully

OSEx works great

..so it is currently not possible to copy full DVD films to DVD-R on an "as-delivered" Mac even if you wanted to (which I know noone here would want to do ;)),

i beg to differ ;)

OP
R

riceman

hi - i am in the process of getting either a G4 or G5 - either will have a superdrive - and am a novice mac user. i just wanted to start this thread up again. i have a whole bunch of trailers in vob format. do i need any extra software apart from iDVD to burn a trailer collection DVD that will play on a DVD player?

does it make a difference if i get a G4 or a G5 (compatibility wise, not speed wise)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.