• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What did you do with your Windows box?

Reaction score
In preparation for Vista, I built a nice computer. The day Vista went on sale I was at CompUSA at midnight. I think it was aboiut 3 hours later that I started becoming a Mac user, although it took me a few months to get one after blowing a ton of money trying to fix Vista. I bought: New computer, 2nd GB ram, new NAS, new scanner, etc. etc.

I turned the old Vista box on for the 1st time after a few months of Mac use. Vista doesn't work at all - I'll have to reformat again - this would be the 3rd Vista install on this box. Right now it's in use as an XP just for backward compatible stuff, but it's a waste.

I'm happy with the Mac - What do some of you use for a OS on your old Vista-ready boxes?

Ubunto? Ubunto 64-bit? What did you do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I went back to Windows XP after a couple of months of Vista. I couldn't handle the issues resulting from the high system requirements (I had no intention of upgrading my system just to run an OS that provided no practical benefits for the upgrades)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have Vista Business edition on my 4 year old desktop and it runs great!

I'm still debating whether I want to put Ultimate on it and use it as a media center type PC or just sell it off while it's still worth something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
I'm still debating whether I want to put Ultimate on it and use it as a media center type PC or just sell it off while it's still worth something.

A four year old desktop? I suppose you could sell it and buy a value meal at McDonald's. :Evil:

lol...just kidding.

My 1.5 year old PC is used everyday by my wife. I haven't used my windows laptop in about two months. As soon as I can convert the wife...windows PCs will be extinct in my house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
My brother took it and built his friend a computer with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'll admit, I miss Vista's Media Center and the Xbox360 Media Center Extender that went along with it.

If I ever get around to building that HTPC, I know that I'll put Vista on it just because of the Media Center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3
My current (soon to be old in 2 weeks, cuz I'm ordering my MBP on Tuesday after the oh so big announcement in case iWork and iLife get updates) PC is getting handed down, as it were, to serve as my parent's office computer. In return, they're paying for a third of my MBP. Not a bad deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'll admit, I miss Vista's Media Center and the Xbox360 Media Center Extender that went along with it.

If I ever get around to building that HTPC, I know that I'll put Vista on it just because of the Media Center.

The only reason I have Vista to use is b/c I got it for $10 as a student license. Otherwise, there are comparable, free means of doing so, but much more of a headache.

Yeah, it's very old, but it has a 3GHz P4 chip, 1GB of RAM and decent, but dated, video and sound cards. So it can still hold it's own for typical uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
My windows box still gets used a fair bit as my TV card sits in there. My windows machine also gets regular abuse If i just want to check emails etc and my laptop is in its case.

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Vista ultimate on my 17" Dell Inspiron serves as the Gaming PC now since it has a better gpu and processor than my desktop. Not bad when you can run most games at nearly full settings on a sub $1500 laptop with 1920x1200 resolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
My only Windows box has been under the bed for the last 18 months, missing a HDD (I put it in my Mac; it only came with 40GB). I used it for DVD ripping for awhile (with the hard tasks, it's much faster than this G4), but it was taking up too much space to only do one job.

It's been donated to some guys that build computers for charities in a few days.

Reaction score
Had Vista ulimate on my work PC. It was very slow, a resource hog, etc. Also, I use this machine as my gaming machine and I was noticing very bad performance issues. I'm back to XP and it's way better than Vista. :eek: They need better drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
My feet are currently resting on my Windows box. No joke.

Reaction score
Haha nice. Is it on? If so, you won't need a space heater for the winter. :x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Mine still has XP on it. I tried to turn it into a Media Center with a satellite TV card and various HTPC software packages, none of which work. I bought a Satellite receiver box and the Windows machine is stilling next to the TV, looking very sorry for itself. I fire it up for games occasionally.

I only upgraded it last year and it's quite a decent games machine (2Ghz Athlon64), so I don't want to get rid of it, but after switching I just find Windows a giant pain in the butt.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use my main Windows XP machine for the same thing, Games. Good gaming machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I built a pretty sweet system for gaming.. But the Xbox 360 replaced that, so I sold it yesterday for $800... I smell a new Mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I sold my 6 year old Dell box for $200...

Reaction score
Just this Saturday I moved my four largest hard drives (1.2TB) to my old Windows box, installed Ubuntu Linux on it and set-up a content-filtering proxy (dansguardian), IMAP server, and SMB server. I've tried netatalk (AFP) on Linux and wasn't successful, maybe I'll try again, but I've got SMB tuned so it's pretty fast from OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Just this Saturday I moved my four largest hard drives (1.2TB) to my old Windows box, installed Ubuntu Linux on it and set-up a content-filtering proxy (dansguardian), IMAP server, and SMB server. I've tried netatalk (AFP) on Linux and wasn't successful, maybe I'll try again, but I've got SMB tuned so it's pretty fast from OS X.

May I ask what you're doing to need a mac pro with 6gb of ram and another PC with 1.2 TB of space? Seriously, I'm intrigued.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.