Files from PC to MAC - can't set up a network...ARGH!!!

Reaction score
Got my BEAUTIFUL 24" iMac. I love it.

Trying to get the files off my PC, using a direct connection between computers (ethernet cord).

No matter what settings I use on my PC, I cannot "see" it on the Mac, and I'm really getting PO'd!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Why not just burn a CD or two and then install on your Mac. Otherwise do you have them set up to share? I've never used a chord to connect because I like to burn CDs or DVDs when I switch to give me a backup copy. Usually an ethernet cord is not the way to share. Are you running a router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Teacher, I use an ethernet cable and it works fine. I wouldn't want to waste CDs and DVDs on this.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've got about 12,000 pictures to move from the PC to the MAC.

I finally figured it out, but I'm not sure what I did!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Got my BEAUTIFUL 24" iMac. I love it.

Trying to get the files off my PC, using a direct connection between computers (ethernet cord).

No matter what settings I use on my PC, I cannot "see" it on the Mac, and I'm really getting PO'd!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Try reading this:

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html

I recently connected my PC to my Macbook with an ethernet cable and I used this guide to help me. Worked great.

Why not just burn a CD or two and then install on your Mac. Otherwise do you have them set up to share? I've never used a chord to connect because I like to burn CDs or DVDs when I switch to give me a backup copy. Usually an ethernet cord is not the way to share. Are you running a router?
Connecting with an Ethernet cable is a excellent way to share. It's probably even better than wasting time burning all those CDs. How do you think most networks are connected to share files/resources? With ethernet cables. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
You ahve to be loco if you think you can transfer all your data off of one computer to another using 1 or 2 cd's!

M

MacHeadCase

You ahve to be loco if you think you can transfer all your data off of one computer to another using 1 or 2 cd's!

Loco = crazy, yes? I have to disagree. It all depends on which type of files it is. Now, knowing it's 12,000 photos, of course, it would take a huge amount of time and burn media but if it were just text files, it could be feasible.

Besides, I went on a camping trip last year and shot over 5,000 photos: I backed them up on DVDs.

But it is true that a direct connection via Ethernet is easier: you just drag and drop files if you can bring the other computer to show up on the desktop as a hard drive.

Thanks Eric559 for the How To! Bookmarked! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
Thanx all. Hopefully I can figure it out from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.