• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does anybody else hate Fox "News"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I hate fox news and need to vent. I was watching it for 3 minutes and they called Barack Obama incompetent and said he shouldn't be in the white house for at least 8-12 years. And then they said he is only helping the last man of the democratic party, Hillary Clinton. It jsut infuriates me that they call themselves "fair and balanced" and lie so blatantly and people eat it up. Obvious media partisanship. :Shouting: :Shouting: :Shouting:

Who sees what I see?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Anything to do with Rupert Murdoch makes me puke. That kind of reporting in the UK would get them shut down. That's not "fair and balanced", that's a personal opinion - and a chauvinist one, too. Ugh.

Reaction score
As long as they can say whatever they want then theoretically so can you and I. I don't agree with the KKK either but I do agree mostly with the EFF. As far as Obama and Clinton are concerned: one thing that stands true especially in politics is that the bigger a threat the person is the bigger the lies the other side is willing to tell. Y'all heard of Steve Ballmer? Same kind of thing over at Fox News.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That's exactly why Fox News is losing market share just as fast as they gained it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I agree. Fox is the last news cast I put on, or read on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just think news should be news. No political ties what-so-ever. It's the idealist in me.

Politics is just as bad however. One of my biggest pet peeves is when politicians claim other politicians are playing politics.

America is so messed up. You know what, I am going to go and change it. BRB

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as they can say whatever they want then theoretically so can you and I. I don't agree with the KKK either but I do agree mostly with the EFF. As far as Obama and Clinton are concerned: one thing that stands true especially in politics is that the bigger a threat the person is the bigger the lies the other side is willing to tell. Y'all heard of Steve Ballmer? Same kind of thing over at Fox News.

I have no problem with freedom of speech. Believe me I am a patriot. But lying to the public is a whole other issue.

It's scare tactics. No other station has the "terror" meter at the bottom of the screen. It's feeding right inot right wing HIT ME AGAIN MOMMY. Vote republicans because the "terror" level is "elevated" and they can protect you.

Reaction score
I agree its crap but you and I right now are using the same rights having this conversation that they use. Stations like Fox enjoy freedom of the press and thats okay because so do stations like CNN and NPR as a whole. Whats good for one of of us is good for all of us. If you don't like them voice it by not watching them. That USED to mean something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
I hate fox news and need to vent. I was watching it for 3 minutes and they called Barack Obama incompetent and said he shouldn't be in the white house for at least 8-12 years.

Keep in mind that most "news channels" have commentary shows where individuals are speaking their opinion. For the record, however, I like the Fox news channel.

I agree its crap but you and I right now are using the same rights having this conversation that they use. Stations like Fox enjoy freedom of the press and thats okay because so do stations like CNN and NPR as a whole. Whats good for one of of us is good for all of us. If you don't like them voice it by not watching them. That USED to mean something.

Nicely said, Jake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Stations like Fox enjoy freedom of the press and thats okay because so do stations like CNN and NPR as a whole.

That's true. And to be fair and balanced, for as tilted to the right as Fox News is, there are a great number of news outlets clearly tilted the other way...NPR and to some extent, CNN included.

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's important to note that I am using Fox News as an example because they are in my opinion, far and away the most drastic example of partisanship. But it goes for all news media. Americans shouldn't have to decipher as to what news the hearing is being spun and what isn't. News should be news, period. Commentary should be on some other station. Americans don't deserve to be twisted and manipulated. Our news shouldn't have agendas.

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind that most "news channels" have commentary shows where individuals are speaking their opinion. For the record, however, I like the Fox news channel.

But most the time stations to bring both opinions. Fox just had some guy ranting uninterrupted about Barack Obama is an idiot. Ludicrous.

Reaction score
If you listen to news "old timers" they comment all the time about how the news used to be the news and now its more about entertainment than information. You bring $$$$$$$$ into anything and the motives become questionable at best. The upside to NPR is that they run on public money. They do have shows that lean one way or another but they don't all run the same line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The upside to NPR is that they run on public money. They do have shows that lean one way or another but they don't all run the same line.

I disagree. Trying to paint NPR any less partisan that Fox News is like me saying George W Bush is the most liberal President we've ever had.

Mind you I'm an NPR listener so I have nothing against them. I just realize they truly have an agenda.

Reaction score
An opinion that differs from your own does not make it wrong, it is just simply different.

I haven't found any news station that I really like, but I would prefer Fox News to the outrageously fear-mongering local news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Everyone talks about Fox News' conservative bias, but nobody talks about their pointless celebrity news bias. I'm guessing that a good 25% of their news time each day is dedicated to meaningless celebrity news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TC99, I think that's any cable news network in general. They're all just garbage for the most part.

Reaction score
I think that any news station can have things like this said about them depending on what they voice as there opinion. Conservative people say the same thing that ShannonB said, but about CNN. No news is right for everyone so people have to find the best they can and live with it. If Fox News makes you angry then don't watch it and stick with what you think is better. When it comes to news, opinion is a big part of it and no matter what anyone says people are going to be angry in one way or another. So like JakeRoberts said voice your opinion by not watching Fox News.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
TC99, I think that's any cable news network in general. They're all just garbage for the most part.

I agree. But I remember a study done by some group (I can't remember whom) that found that Fox News had the most stories on Anna Nicole of all the cable news channels and the least about the Iraq War.

Has anyone here watched Greta Van Susteren's show? It is nothing but celebrity news and murder trials. I've watched it a few times and each time it ends I feel dumber for watching.

I remember Ray Bradbury said something when he was being interviewed recently about Fahrenheit 451. He was talking about the influence of TV on society. What he said was something along the lines of, "Have you seen television news lately? Too much of that will turn your brain to mush!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.