I can't figure out why bootcamp won't partition.

Reaction score
Sorry if someone has had this problem before and posted it, but I couldn't find an existing thread about this issue. I am trying to run Windows on my Macbook Pro using Boot Camp. I have done it before but have since reverted back to only running OSX. Now that I want to partition my HD once again, it won't go through with it. After setting up the alotted space for each operating system, clicking 'Partition', and waiting a little while a message comes up saying it can't partition because some files could not be moved. They recommend I do this: Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again. However, I'm not really sure what they are asking. I have gone into Disk Utility and tried to follow their instructions but just end up lost.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Or better yet does anyone have an easier solution for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I had the same problem, but you can't solve it from within OS X.

Get out the restore discs that came with your Mac. Pop them in and restart the computer. Hold "C" as the computer restarts and it'll boot into OS X setup. At the top toolbar, find the Disk Utility option. Select Macintosh HD and perform the repair function. Once that is done, exit setup and restart the computer normally.

The Boot Camp Assistant should now be able to partition without a problem. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I also ran into this issue.

It seems that if you're running low on disk space and your disk is fairly fragmented, boot camp can't move the files over to where your OS X partition is going to be.

You could try freeing up some space, repairing the disk as kash suggested, or running a dedicated defrag tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.