Question on virus protection

Reaction score
I plan to buy an iMac soon and run a few windows programs on it. Will I need anti virus protection if I only go online with the Mac software and not the Windows software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Viruses are just PC programs, so they'll effect the Windows side of things, but not OS X.

Use AVG Antivirus with Windows, but that's all you'll need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I plan to buy an iMac soon and run a few windows programs on it. Will I need anti virus protection if I only go online with the Mac software and not the Windows software?

If your NOT connecting to the internet for even a second, ever... that means no email either.... then no.... you won't need any AV apps. Honestly though, there are some great freeware AV, so I don't know why you want to be without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
In general, there are few if any virus' for Macs. However, if you ARE worried, consider the open source ClamAV antivirus. This is a well respected, mature, multi platform AV. I have used it on both Linux and Windows, and it works well. The Mac port can be found at:

http://www.clamxav.com/

My only usage comment would be that the AV scanner is not the speediest thing in the world. Plan to give it a few HOURS to go through everything. It is VERY thorough.

Reaction score
Everything depends on how you behave online and with the software you choose to add to your computer but in general: "no". You don't need AV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.