• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Macbook soon?

Reaction score
I see that a new imac is predicted, but it seems new macbook rumors have subsided. Anyone have any predicitons or heard any rumors about new macbooks anytime soon. Should I buy now or wait it out a couple months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3
The MBs and MBPs were both updated within the last 80 days. The approximate average for a lappy update is 194 days. I don't think we'll see anything serious for quite a while.

OP
D
Reaction score
So that means an update will coincide with Leopard. I guess ill wait it out. I made that mistake with my now broken powerbook g4 which became obsolete 4 months later with the intel switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
If you had used the search function this question would have been answered for you earlier. Sorry to seem rude, but it's true.

Reaction score
personally, I think we'll get some spec updates, possibly a full LED screen adaptation for all MBs and MBPs.

there's been a rumor of a thinner MB, but I think this is news about a new ultra-portable addition to the lineup, rather than a remake of the current offerings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
... my now broken powerbook g4 which became obsolete 4 months later with the intel switch.
I wouldn't go so far as to say 'obsolete'... especially if it would be less than a year between updates. Obsolete is a bit of a strong word:
Dictionary said:
ob·so·lete [ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet]

no longer in use; fallen into disuse

1579, from L. obsoletus "grown old, worn out,"
G4's are by no means obsolete. Mine certainly hasn't worn out or fallen into disuse. :)
G4's are just older. Older does not necessarily equate to obsolete.

Now if you had a Quadra or a Performa... then obsolete wouldn't be such a stretch. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
So that means an update will coincide with Leopard. I guess ill wait it out. I made that mistake with my now broken powerbook g4 which became obsolete 4 months later with the intel switch.

It doesn't mean an update *will* coincide with Leopard, it *may* coincide with Leopard. Just buy now, if you wait for the Next Big Update you'll be waiting forever as the next MacBook is always on he horizon, and for .2 Ghz speed bump it's hardly worth it IMO.

Reaction score
Hello, this guy http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, has a lot of good things to say about PPC processors. If G5's didn't run hot there is a good chance the Intel switch would not have happened. The G4/G5's have years and years of R and D behind them as well as some good companies. IBM, Motorola, and for that matter Apple were doing computers when nobody even knew what the heck they were. If Apple hadn't faultered in the 80's companies like AMD and Intel might be the underdog now. Just because it ain't shiny and new doesn't mean it sucks. Whats important with any computer is whether or not you like it. Computers move too fast for end users to stay current anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
Hello, this guy http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, has a lot of good things to say about PPC processors. If G5's didn't run hot there is a good chance the Intel switch would not have happened. The G4/G5's have years and years of R and D behind them as well as some good companies. IBM, Motorola, and for that matter Apple were doing computers when nobody even knew what the heck they were. If Apple hadn't faultered in the 80's companies like AMD and Intel might be the underdog now. Just because it ain't shiny and new doesn't mean it sucks. Whats important with any computer is whether or not you like it. Computers move too fast for end users to stay current anyway.

WOW.....thats some geeky **** right there.....tell me u read that whole page on that link and stayed interested

Reaction score
I'm waiting for an announcement that includes HDMI and a Internal Blu Ray player, and then I will purchase a MBP. Or until I can't wait longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Macbook won' be updated,

Like said before it has just been updated, my brother in law bought one just 2 months ago, but it has been updated since then, so just forget an update on the 7th ;)

Could be possible that they have a nice update for ya in October with Leopard ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
I can only hope it gets a major update in october. Everytime I walk by the apple store i cant help but play with the MBs. I don't know how much longer I can hold out, but I really want to get it when it first get updates. Also theres so many major updates possible and I would be mad if I bought now and then they did something major like make less fan noise or increase the processor speed.

Reaction score
I'm waiting for an announcement that includes HDMI and a Internal Blu Ray player, and then I will purchase a MBP. Or until I can't wait longer.

wouldn't using a DVI to HDMI input suffice (minus the audio, I suppose)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.