download pic to pictures pic folder instead of iPhoto

Reaction score
I have a Canon xti how can i download my picture to my pic folder instead of to iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Use ImageCapture instead of iPhoto.
It is in your Applications folder.

M

MacHeadCase

iPhoto probably launches automatically when you plug in your camera, so you will have to open Image Capture now and, even if it tells you there is no camera to be found in its window, go into Image Capture's Preferences, and under the General tab, you'll see where you can set the application of your choice for the download of your photos.

I really like Canon's freebie that came with my XT so you might want to install it if you haven't already. The way I have set up my iMac when I plug in my CF card in the media card reader is that Canon's CameraWindow will launch and do the download for me and then Canon's ImageBrowser then launches to let me see in a slideshow my images so I can eliminate right from the start the bad ones.

Hope this helps.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi: MacHeadCase. Thanks for the tips I installed the freebie that came with my camera and tried it ths morn love it. The way to go, will use it from now on. You have been very helpful

Reaction score
I've read that Canon's don't show up as a mounted drive when you plug it in, is everyone here experiencing that? I have a Canon SD 600 (or something like that), and it doesn't do this. I wish it would so I could selectively download and delete pics off the camera.

Also, when I use ImageCapture, in the drop down to pick where you would like to download your photos, the list is empty. When I run it, they end up in the Pictures folder. Anyone know what's going on, or how to fix this so I can choose?

M

MacHeadCase

Hi: MacHeadCase. Thanks for the tips I installed the freebie that came with my camera and tried it ths morn love it. The way to go, will use it from now on. You have been very helpful

Glad you find this useful! Now show us some of your pix! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
If you start up Image capture you then see this box
canon_powershot_s3_is-20070801-200854.jpg

If you click on the Download to you should get an option called Other

You can then tell IC where you want your shots

If you click on options you get this pane

image_capture-20070801-202233.jpg

You can select the option with the arrow

IC then deletes the downloaded Shots from the camera.

Other than that I can't be of much help .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I've read that Canon's don't show up as a mounted drive when you plug it in, is everyone here experiencing that? I have a Canon SD 600 (or something like that), and it doesn't do this. I wish it would so I could selectively download and delete pics off the camera.

Also, when I use ImageCapture, in the drop down to pick where you would like to download your photos, the list is empty. When I run it, they end up in the Pictures folder. Anyone know what's going on, or how to fix this so I can choose?

Yes, I am experiencing the non-mounting of the camera. Is there a way around this? I like plugging in my camera and just taking the photos off the camera as if the camera was just another USB key or hard drive.

I have a Canon camera as well. I can't seem to find this option in any of the programs or system preferences.

Hopefully someone has a way around this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.