Just ordered a Powerbook G4!

M

MoltenLava

This is not my first Mac, but actually the third Mac this month. Both my wife and I are computer professionals, and we have a network of MS Windows computers, three desktops and two laptops at home. I've bought an old PowerMac G4 from eBay, more as a toy for my kid, a couple of weeks back. I was pleasantly surprised with Panther, and realized it is more than a toy for my kid. I then immediately bought a G4 cube, which I think is the best looking personal computer ever. Then tonight I've ordered a G4 Powerbook to replace my wife's aging Sony Z505 laptop (which is now officially for sale if anyone's interested). This is the first Mac that I've ordered directly from Apple than eBay. ;) I am also seriously contemplating whether to replace my Sony Z1 with iBook. I love the Sony's screen and light weight, but now I want a Panther! Seriously, Apple should port Panther to Intel platform. I bet it will attract a lot of Windows AND ((Linux)) users.

OP
J

Joeytpg

congrats man, enjoy your Panther - Pbook - powermac - cube Family hehe :D

i'll join you soon with a pbook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Congrats.. Hope you have a trouble free life-time of fun together!
And maybe it'll help keep your rug for longer.

OP
G

G4Grover

Sounds like the path I am on... I have in my house...

1 Dell inspiron 8500 2.4Ghz 15.4" laptop (Wifes)
1 AMD Duron 800 Mhz (daughters)
1 AMD Athlon 1 Ghz (Sons)
1 AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (Mine)
1 Dell inspiron 8500 2.4Ghz 15.4" laptop (Mine)
1 700 Mhz G3 700 Mhz iMac (Mine)
1 1.33 Ghz G4 15" Powerbook (on order... Mine too)

The short story, I just discovered I like Macs as much as PC's after buying the iMac. So I am selling my iMac and my Inspiron 8500 and ordered a new Powerbook. :)

OP
M

MoltenLava

Just received my 4th Mac today: 12" G4 iBook. (Actually 6th including one misordered Powerbook and one misordered iBook... Powerbook is unopened waiting for RMA from Apple, and I might have to resell the other iBook on eBay. Does anyone here want a 800MHz G3 iBook with Applecare warranty? ;) )

Anyways, it's a nice little laptop. My wife's 15" Powerbook G4 costs 3x this iBook, but I think I like the iBook better. I actually prefer the snow white bulletproof polycarbonate iBook case to metallic aluminum Powerbook case, but it's just me. iBook is 1 lb lighter than the Powerbook, it still feels substantial. The keyboard quality is still very good. But the plastic material used for the keyboard and palmrest feels a little cheap, reminding me of interior of Ford Taurus.

Anyways, in the next week or so I need to decide whether to keep my Sony VAIO Z1 or iBook. I know I WANT an Apple, but Z1 is a very nice piece of hardware with excellent screen and great portability. I just wish this iBook was a few ounce lighter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
MoltenLava said:
Anyways, it's a nice little laptop. My wife's 15" Powerbook G4 costs 3x this iBook, but I think I like the iBook better. I actually prefer the snow white bulletproof polycarbonate iBook case to metallic aluminum Powerbook case, but it's just me. iBook is 1 lb lighter than the Powerbook, it still feels substantial. The keyboard quality is still very good. But the plastic material used for the keyboard and palmrest feels a little cheap, reminding me of interior of Ford Taurus.

Anyways, in the next week or so I need to decide whether to keep my Sony VAIO Z1 or iBook. I know I WANT an Apple, but Z1 is a very nice piece of hardware with excellent screen and great portability. I just wish this iBook was a few ounce lighter.

Well, I'm a 12" PowerBook fanboy, so consider this: The 12" PB is 0.3lb lighter than the iBook, has the same keyboard as the 15" PB, same screen as the iBook. The case material (including palmrests) is the same as the larger PB.

Well, now I've gone and added a third laptop for you to ponder. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.