• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I wish the Mac community was less BASHfull

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I don't enjoy reading posts with Windows bashing. As if Macs don't have shortcomings, and nothing ever goes wrong for Mr. Jobs on stage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
A little fun banter is one thing, but down an dirty bashing is just annoying.

I remember seeing a video on Youtube of a compilation of problems Steve has had with his presentations. The best one was when he couldn't get a digital camera to work, and in his frustration with the camera and the tech guy off stage, he pretty much chucked the camera at the tech guy.

Even funnier was when Bill Gates was on Conan O-Brien and he couldn't get something to work after multiple tries. Gates just had this silent rage going on and Conan kept poking fun and mentioned some guy would be out of a job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I agree with you, fleurya. But I also hate it when my friends bash Macs because they're "slow" and "ugly" or "don't go on the internet", and my natural reaction is to bash the crap out of the PC and see how they like it. It usually shows them that Macs aren't crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't enjoy reading posts with Windows bashing. As if Macs don't have shortcomings, and nothing ever goes wrong for Mr. Jobs on stage.

We just recently had this discussion in another thread here. Bottom line is, this attitude exists on both sides of the argument and ignorance abounds in both directions. My only comment is that 95% of Mac users use Windows on a Daily basis, but 95% of Windows users have never touched a Mac. Who is in a better position to comment on the ups and downs of either system? Most Mac bashing is based on ignorance, most Windows bashing is based on experience.

If you don't enjoy reading those posts, then skip them. It does seem to me that some people perception of "bashing" is a bit much. If someone comments on their perceived shortcomings in Windows as a reason for switching to a Mac, that's not really bashing. If someone rants about why Windows sucks and Bill Gates is the Devil, that's bashing. Nearly everyone here decided to give the Mac a go for one reason or another and stuck with it. Based on that, one should expect some amount of bashing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Exactly- if Mac-bashers say "it doesn't go on the internet", it's blatantly false. While it varies by person, it's probably impossible (or at least nearly impossible) to find a Mac user who (A) Hasn't used Windows, and (B) Cares about the differences.

As an aside, I recently un-bookmarked Digg and swore never to go there again after reading hundreds of comments like "MACS suck l0lz, no gamez is teh GAY!!!11". I would like to point out that that is very nearly word for word of some comments. I won't pain you with a link, but go read any story on Digg about anything (not just tech/Apple), and in the comments someone will start bashing Macs.

I don't care if you don't use a Mac, but stay quiet unless you know what you're talking about.

OP
giulio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I agree for the mostpart. Sometimes the comments are mean spirited, not just factual comparisons and opinions.
Because they do it, doesn't mean we should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"MACS suck l0lz, no gamez is teh GAY!!!11"

I'm surprised someone typing like that even knows how to turn on a computer! I'd say you were exaggerating if I hadn't seen similar comments like that myself. I bet when they're done they review their comment with pride as a great victory in the PC/Mac ongoing debate. I know I do, the the Mac side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Most Mac bashing is based on ignorance, most Windows bashing is based on experience.
i'm sorry, but that is awesome... sig'ed:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Exactly- if Mac-bashers say "it doesn't go on the internet", it's blatantly false. While it varies by person, it's probably impossible (or at least nearly impossible) to find a Mac user who (A) Hasn't used Windows, and (B) Cares about the differences.

As an aside, I recently un-bookmarked Digg and swore never to go there again after reading hundreds of comments like "MACS suck l0lz, no gamez is teh GAY!!!11". I would like to point out that that is very nearly word for word of some comments. I won't pain you with a link, but go read any story on Digg about anything (not just tech/Apple), and in the comments someone will start bashing Macs.

I don't care if you don't use a Mac, but stay quiet unless you know what you're talking about.

Obviously people care or they wouldn't take the time to post things like "Vista is degrading"

I'm sure some users have only had a fleeting glance at Vista to make this judgement, and do most of it based on 10 minutes in a computer store or reviews in magazines...Not exactly good material to make an intelligent conclusion from.

Sounds almost like the experience of windows users with OS X that decide to do some bashing and name calling...you know...ten minutes in the Apple store and some reading on the internet...

I just don't like when people perpetuate rumors that aren't true. It happens evry where as well as this forum.

Go on Amazon and look up Mac games. You'll have pages of games to look through. It really is a huge selection and they're not all "Counting is Fun" type programs...

As well as Vista is unreliable? Well yeah...if you're trying to run Aero with an integrated GPU and only 512mb of memory...But then again, that's the user's fault and not Microsoft's. I mean, they are supporting millions of configurations instead of like....50?

Oh...and the two good Apple ones...They're better at graphics and "They just work". If Apple computers just worked, there would be no such thing as refurbs or trouble shooting forums. There would be no posts on here asking for help and Apple Care would be abolished as there would be no need for it.

Face it. Brand loyalty is a real you know what...and some people just can't help hopping on that band wagon...If it makes you feel better about yourself, then good for you...but that's not saying it doesn't make people look like uneducated fools on occasion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Obviously people care or they wouldn't take the time to post things like "Vista is degrading"

I'm sure some users have only had a fleeting glance at Vista to make this judgement, and do most of it based on 10 minutes in a computer store or reviews in magazines...Not exactly good material to make an intelligent conclusion from.

I'd say magazine reviews are perfectly valid in making an intelligent judgement on something; and even more so you've used the product in question (even if only for 10 minutes).

Sounds almost like the experience of windows users with OS X that decide to do some bashing and name calling...you know...ten minutes in the Apple store and some reading on the internet...

The majority of those people wouldn't have a clue how to use OS X, and people generally don't like things they don't understand (like the first few months of college, all I'd hear was "I hate Macs!". By the end of the year almost everyone was talking about buying one); whereas most OS X users can get by on Windows as-well.

As well as Vista is unreliable? Well yeah...if you're trying to run Aero with an integrated GPU and only 512mb of memory...But then again, that's the user's fault and not Microsoft's.

That sounds like the majority of computers sold around 3/4 years ago (and probably more recently too; I've got one under my bed). My 6 year old G4 will run Leopard, which is considered to be more advanced than Vista.

I don't promote "bashing" of any kind; I've even recommended that a couple people here should consider Windows rather than OS X... just adding my thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
We just recently had this discussion in another thread here. Bottom line is, this attitude exists on both sides of the argument and ignorance abounds in both directions. My only comment is that 95% of Mac users use Windows on a Daily basis, but 95% of Windows users have never touched a Mac. Who is in a better position to comment on the ups and downs of either system? Most Mac bashing is based on ignorance, most Windows bashing is based on experience.

Exactly. On another forum I post on (although not Mac/Computer) related, the Apple/Mac bashing and ignorant comments that go on there is just astounding. I use Windows at work every day, and I don't hate it or groan knowing I will be using Windows. Not to mention, using Windows = me getting paid as there are no advanced CAD programs for the Mac. Ultimatey I chose a Mac because I was having many issues/crashing/need for reformatting etc. and simply got tired of it. It wasn't because I was getting a virus or spyware, I was very aware of running necessary apps to keep these things off my computer, but windows was never very stable on my Machine. Why? I do not know.

It just came down to the fact I wanted something that would not give me many issues and do the things I wanted my computer to do which the Mac/OS X does for me 10 X's over. It's also nice having a computer that boots up into the OS in about 30 seconds as opposed to my Windows Box of compare specs doing it in a couple of minutes. I also love the look and feel of both my MacBook and MacBook pro in comparison to HP/Dell/Sony laptops I have used. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it mandatory that this type of thread must be started again every month? Did I miss a memo??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Exactly. On another forum I post on (although not Mac/Computer) related, the Apple/Mac bashing and ignorant comments that go on there is just astounding. I use Windows at work every day, and I don't hate it or groan knowing I will be using Windows. Not to mention, using Windows = me getting paid as there are no advanced CAD programs for the Mac. Ultimatey I chose a Mac because I was having many issues/crashing/need for reformatting etc. and simply got tired of it. It wasn't because I was getting a virus or spyware, I was very aware of running necessary apps to keep these things off my computer, but windows was never very stable on my Machine. Why? I do not know.

It just came down to the fact I wanted something that would not give me many issues and do the things I wanted my computer to do which the Mac/OS X does for me 10 X's over. It's also nice having a computer that boots up into the OS in about 30 seconds as opposed to my Windows Box of compare specs doing it in a couple of minutes. I also love the look and feel of both my MacBook and MacBook pro in comparison to HP/Dell/Sony laptops I have used. :)

Wow! another CAD user at MacForums. May I ask what your occupation is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Wow! another CAD user at MacForums. May I ask what your occupation is?

Senior Designer/Engineering Department Supervisor. Oh, and we use Solid Edge. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
I don't bash anymore, but I used to bash Apple big time hahaha. Funny how that is. I'll admit that most was due to ignorance. I still use both and there are things that I like/dislike about them. ;) I agree with alot of what's being said though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Most Mac bashing is based on ignorance, most Windows bashing is based on experience.

I'd have to say based on my experience here, both sides are based on ignorance.

If you bother read most of the PC bashers' posts, you'll see they're full of ignorant, incorrect, "fan boy" comments.

To be honest, most of the PC bashing I've seen has been so juvenile, I actually go and look up the ages of those doing it because I can't believe they're older than 13. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I bash anything that's got something wrong with it. My experience as a user and programmer leads me to conclude that Windows sucks - my experience also leads me to conclude that Finder sucks, too, as do Apple keyboards and the Mighty Mouse.

I agree that there is too much ignorance-based bashing though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.