Recording audio on a MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi everyone,

I am getting a macbook pro soon and am wanting to record some instuments and put a song together. What software / hardware will I need? Can I plug an electric guitar straight into the macbook and hear what I play out of the speakers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
You can plug in straight in through the mic port. Search for threads on the hardware info.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
nice. thanks man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hi everyone,

I am getting a macbook pro soon and am wanting to record some instuments and put a song together. What software / hardware will I need? Can I plug an electric guitar straight into the macbook and hear what I play out of the speakers?

What are you aiming for? You can record one instrument at a time and do vocals, but it's probably not going to sound the greatest...if you have any certain expectations for quality, you may want to look into other hardware...but it can get costly...just look at some of the other threads in this section...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, White 80GB iPod 5th Generation
vaughan80, hi!

You're going to need a pre-amp! This enables for good mixing. I recommend

Digidesign MBox-2

OR

M-Audio Mobile PRE

Both very good recording interfaces! Also I recommend Pro Tools LE 7 from Digidesign for software. There are later versions out of it though I am sure..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
How much does it cost?

$450 for just a 2 channel USB interface and you can only use pro tools software with proprietery hardware. Cheaper to usually go another route...

2 channel firewire a/d interaces can be had for $250.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.