MacBook specs

Reaction score
Hey,
I posted here earlier about the specs of a mac for gaming. Well I'm getting an Xbox360 for gaming so I don't need to bother about that now. Although being a student, I've run out of money. My question now is: can the 13" MacBook run Photoshop, After Effects etc. well? And also, will I be able to play World of Warcraft? I can't really afford the MacBook Pro :(

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I currently use xFire with a bunch of mates. Is there an equivilant that runs on both PC AND Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I think the MacBook can handle that. Also, yeah, good idea getting a 360, Macs aren't exactly renowned for gaming.

World of Warcraft will be fine.

As for xFire, there's an Adium plugin called Xblaze.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks indeed, Youtube, I never though about looking there. Looks pretty decent. Can I just ask, would I be better getting a MacBook for portability, or an iMac and just leaving it at home. I like the idea of having a laptop for college but would it be better in the long term getting an iMac with extra RAM and whatever video card it has. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
The iMacs offer larger screens, bigger hard drives, dedicated graphics card, and optional wireless kb and mouse.

The Macbooks offer great portability, can do what you've posted you want to do, and depending on configurations, could cost you less.

If you want to save a few more bucks, try a refurbished model from Apple.

But ulitmatley, if you want/need portability go with a Macbook.
If you don't want/need portability go with an iMac.

You really can't go wrong with either one, based on what you've posted in this thread so far.

If all else fails, go to an Apple store and talk to a rep.

Good Luck! :)

Reaction score
i think the macbook would be fine but i suggest upgrading the ram to 2GB by yourself. Don't get apple ram there having a laugh at their prices. Its super-easy to install it yourself and save a bundle

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I might go to an Apple store once I buy it anyways, so I suppose I could ask nearer to or on the day. Do they have different configurations of the machines instore, for example, if you wanted more RAM/CPU/screen etc.?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hey,
I posted here earlier about the specs of a mac for gaming. Well I'm getting an Xbox360 for gaming so I don't need to bother about that now. Although being a student, I've run out of money. My question now is: can the 13" MacBook run Photoshop, After Effects etc. well? And also, will I be able to play World of Warcraft? I can't really afford the MacBook Pro :(

Photoshop and aftereffects will be fine. Just remember though (and this is true with all Intel Macs) If you run an older version of Photoshop than CS3, it runs under emulation using Rosetta. It's still quite useable but give it as much RAM as you can afford. CS3 is Universal and runs full speed on both Intel and PPC Macs.

Wow will be fine from what friends tell me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Thanks, I think I might go to an Apple store once I buy it anyways, so I suppose I could ask nearer to or on the day. Do they have different configurations of the machines instore, for example, if you wanted more RAM/CPU/screen etc.?

Not sure. My apple store only carries stock configs. Any customs need to be ordered online. Thats not to say they don't carry refurb'd models on-site.

They should have varying models on display, but at my apple store, all the macbooks came with 2gb ram, even the lowest-end model. Apple.com states the macbooks come with 1gb ram standard.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7 I heard about CS2 being emulated. Guess I'll be switching to CS3 then...

The RAM was what I was looking for really, I'm not so fussed about the hard drive. Out of interest, can RAM be easily upgraded at a later time?
I've never been to an Apple store, my nearest one is a few miles away and, as this is my first Mac, I've never needed to visit it. The only store where I live that sells Macs, strangely enough, is PCWorld, but they only sell stock configs, which is why I'm wondering can I purchase RAM elsewhere, so I can buy it from there on the day and upgrade the memory when I've got some spare cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yes, it can, and most of us who have done so have done so ourselves. It's very easy, and even kind of cheap. For a Macbook it's remove the battery, unscrew three screws then lever the old RAM out with these built-in levers. Then gently jam the new ram into the sockets. Screw back in the little "guardrail", and put back battery. Plenty of YouTube videos on the procedure.

For an iMac I don't have one, but I understand it's a matter of removing a panel to get to the RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.