• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Different between MAC & PC??!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4
whats the different between a MAC & PC?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the operating system
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

MAC is a part of the data link layer specified in the seven-layer OSI model (layer 2). It provides addressing and channel access control mechanisms that makes it possible for several terminals or network nodes to communicate within a multipoint network, typically a local area network (LAN) or metropolitan area network (MAN).

PC is a microcomputer whose price, size, and capabilities make it useful for individuals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
"Mac" is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation... more than that it's a brand name; but while calling an "iPod" I-pod isn't that bad (I lie. It's awful... just plain wrong), MAC and Mac are two completely different things (as showed beautifully by D3v1L80Y).

For the differences between a Mac and Windows based PC; see Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

A PC is a generic term for a personal computer, usually indicating a computer that runs Microsoft Windows. However many users of GNU Linux and other OpenSource operating systems would want you to know that there are alternatives.

PCs are made by companies like Dell, Sony, HP and others - they make the hardware, and install other people's software (usually Microsoft's).

A Mac (not MAC) is a Macintosh computer, made Apple. It will run OS X (or if it's a bit ancient another Apple Operating system), so both the hardware and the Operating System is supplied by Apple. New Intel Macs can also run Windows, if you insist, and internally actually differ from PCs very little.

Which one you should have, depends very much of your needs, taste and budget - however it is probably broadly fair to say virtually any new computer can pretty much do what any other one can do, if you exclude high end gaming.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To me OSX is what makes a Mac different. If a Mac had XP or Vista, it would be another PC with a pretty case and slightly higher price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I love the apple avatar from someone who doesnt know the difference between mac and PC. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD
Performance, reliability, stability, and capabilities are what discerns a Mac from a PC for me. They've got a point though. MAC and Mac aren't the same. And PC is just a term commonly used to define Windows based computers; however, it could work either way. Personal Computer. My iMac is a PC if you look at it from that angle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Performance, reliability, stability, and capabilities are what discerns a Mac from a PC for me.

But shouldn't be for every one. Although yes, virus protection and a little know how is essential for maintaining a correctly operating Windows install, Macs are not inherently better at any of the three.

Performance: A PC can be built to better specs...there's no arguing that...there's so many parts to build your own or so many companies out there that will build to your specs. Want an oil cooled PC? I'm sure you can find some one to build it for you.

Reliability: Just because HP, Sony, and Dell make cheap PC's that don't seem to have the best hardware track record doesn't mean there are companies out there that built a PC 10 years ago that's still running today.

Stability: I've heard this complaint before. Too many forced quits in OS X. It does this with my Adobe programs from time to time when in the whole year of owning a Dell that I installed Vista Ultimate on, Adobe has never had any issues at all. Neither one of the OS's have ever required a reboot from a crash, just normal stuff like updates and such. But, regardless of the issues, I still use the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
I have to agree that indeed the difference between a Mac and a PC, is the Operating System.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Performance: A PC can be built to better specs...there's no arguing that...there's so many parts to build your own or so many companies out there that will build to your specs. Want an oil cooled PC? I'm sure you can find some one to build it for you.

I think the point was that with the same specs, a computer running OS X would perform better than one with Windows (especially Vista). Also, in a lot of cases a new OS X will run faster on an older machine than the previous version (although now with so many things going on in the background, that's not always the case). With Windows releases, it's always the opposite.

Also, when Apple release a new machine, it's often the best in it's class (showed beautifully when Microsoft started to demo Vista and Office 2007 on iMacs and MacBook Pros), and in some cases you can't build your own PC to the same spec because a) the parts aren't on the market yet, and/or b) if you could get the parts, or the closest alternative, the cost would be higher than buying the Apple machine.

Although, yes; usually, you can build a better specced PC for less than a Mac.

Reliability: Just because HP, Sony, and Dell make cheap PC's that don't seem to have the best hardware track record doesn't mean there are companies out there that built a PC 10 years ago that's still running today.

Quite right; although again, I think this relates to Windows more than the hardware.

In my experience Windows goes wrong more often than OS X, and when it does, it's a lot harder to fix. Back when I used Windows almost exclusively, there'd usually be one day every week where something or everything just wouldn't go my way, and I'd spend a large part of the day getting it sorted before I could do what I want (but for the other 6 days of the week, it'd be fine). Now I'm using OS X pretty much exclusively, I've had 2 days like that in the past 18 months, and a reboot fixed everything first time.

Stability: I've heard this complaint before. Too many forced quits in OS X. It does this with my Adobe programs from time to time when in the whole year of owning a Dell that I installed Vista Ultimate on, Adobe has never had any issues at all. Neither one of the OS's have ever required a reboot from a crash, just normal stuff like updates and such. But, regardless of the issues, I still use the Mac.

I can't speak for Vista, as I've had no real experience with it; but I'd say even with XP I never really had a problem with the OS crashing (at least, no more than I have on OS X), but I could guarantee I'd be hitting the "End Now" button about 3 times a day minimum. It's actually very rare that I have to force quit an OS X app (and the ones I've had to do it most with are Word, and IE when I used them at college).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD
I think the point was that with the same specs, a computer running OS X would perform better than one with Windows (especially Vista). Also, in a lot of cases a new OS X will run faster on an older machine than the previous version (although now with so many things going on in the background, that's not always the case). With Windows releases, it's always the opposite.

Also, when Apple release a new machine, it's often the best in it's class (showed beautifully when Microsoft started to demo Vista and Office 2007 on iMacs and MacBook Pros), and in some cases you can't build your own PC to the same spec because a) the parts aren't on the market yet, and/or b) if you could get the parts, or the closest alternative, the cost would be higher than buying the Apple machine.

Although, yes; usually, you can build a better specced PC for less than a Mac.

Quite right; although again, I think this relates to Windows more than the hardware.

In my experience Windows goes wrong more often than OS X, and when it does, it's a lot harder to fix. Back when I used Windows almost exclusively, there'd usually be one day every week where something or everything just wouldn't go my way, and I'd spend a large part of the day getting it sorted before I could do what I want (but for the other 6 days of the week, it'd be fine). Now I'm using OS X pretty much exclusively, I've had 2 days like that in the past 18 months, and a reboot fixed everything first time.

I can't speak for Vista, as I've had no real experience with it; but I'd say even with XP I never really had a problem with the OS crashing (at least, no more than I have on OS X), but I could guarantee I'd be hitting the "End Now" button about 3 times a day minimum. It's actually very rare that I have to force quit an OS X app (and the ones I've had to do it most with are Word, and IE when I used them at college).

Mac is not perfect and is susceptible failures and complications of its own; however, I grew up on Windows for both home and work life. The interface is indeed more user friendly (in some ways) and it's just easier to handle. Years ago I began working with Macs at work, but still used Windows at home. While yes, Macintosh at work did frustrate me at times with sometimes freezing and force quitting, Windows always gave me 10 times more problems. For every 3 "force quit" I had to do, there were at least twice as many "end now" with Windows. Even on brand new computers. And yes, the RAM and speed did contribute (with both computers), Mac's operating system proved to me that it was much more stable in my experience with both for both home and work usage. And it's not so much the computer I hated as much as the Windows OS. Dell is actually one of my favorite computer companies. All I know is the one fateful morning we booted up our Windows computer and it brought up that little blue system screen, when the computer was perfectly fine the day before, we about had a heart attack and soon enough switched. Not even half as many problems on our Macs as we did our Windows based computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
the biggest difference between a mac and a pc i would have to say is not just the OS, but the experience. if you really want to see the differences, take a trip to an apple store and find out for yourself.

*200th post! w00t!*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
To me, it's both about the OS and how it presents you. To me, a PC is like "Hello. Go ahead, operate me. I won't really give you any help, just do it." a Mac, to me is "Hello! How can I help you with making your movie, or editing photos?"

To me, Mac's are simply more elegant, friendly, and easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
wait wait wait... the OP doesn't ask for the difference... it asks for the different.... does that mean like... one difference? hmmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.