couple of quick questions - help

Reaction score
I'm new to mac and am setting up my powerbook.

I just dowloaded and installed firefox and there is a file on my desktop called firefox . dmg

I dont think Ive installed it right however, there is a logo on the desktop that when I click on it, opens another logo that opens firefox.

So question is, can I delete the desktop files called xx.dmg and if not, where do I put it, second question is, I dragged the logo in the folder into the dock and firefox opens but, the folder is still on my desktop, can I delete this or does it need to be moved somewhere.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Open that DMG file, and drag the Firefox inside it to the Applications folder. Then open that one that you just put in the Applications folder when you want to run Firefox.

You can delete the DMG now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah what i said.

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry but, Im completely confused. I've dragged the .dmg into applications but, the fireforx is showing on my desktop as a disk, i click on that, it opens another window showing the firefox link and i click on that to get firefox.

how do i install it so i just have a link in dock and no other icons.

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no.

You open the DMG, right? Then inside that, there is ANOTHER Firefox? Inside the DMG?

Put THAT in the Applications folder, then delete the DMG (the file it was inside)

Another way to think of it is that the DMG is a Zip or RAR file.

Reaction score
dagnabit! you figured it out before i could get my visual done.... could you pretend i was a big help? :p

OP
O
Reaction score
Well since some of y'all seem so keen to help, now that I've played around a little, I am still a little confused.

I download an app
It saves as a .dmg on the desktop
I click the dmg and it install the program in applications
once installed, i delete the dmg by dragging it to the trash
open applications and it should be there
drag the application to the dock and i get an ocon there that i can use to open the pgm

once this is done, everything should work fine and there is no "crap" on the desktop

Do I have this correct or am I missing something? I seem to get ahead of myself and end up with all sorts of problems.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If there's a program icon in the DMG file, drag into Applications.

If there's an icon which looks like a box opening, double click and it will install itself.

Either way, once that's finished, drag anything that's left on the desktop into trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.