Cannot access certain web pages

Reaction score
Hi guys,

about two weeks ago my iBook G4 stopped being able to connect to certain sites, namely www.myspace.com, http://login.yahoo.com (www.yahoo.com is fine), plus many other random sites. At first I thought it was the fault of my ISP, but I have since tried connecting through other Wifi connections and through dialup, and the same sites aren't connecting. I just get the message "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.myspace.com", or the safari equivalent. I have sucessfully connected to myspace using a proxy website, www.superproxy.co.uk, but this won't work for yahoo mail as it's a secure server.

I really need to check my mail! Help please!

Billy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What are your settings in preferences? Do you have anything in DNS Servers?

Have you tried another browser?

OP
B
Reaction score
Have tried Firefox, Safari and IE. In System prefs there is nothing in DNS Servers. It is set to use DHCP, everything else left blank. Have managed to get into my mail by clicking the link I posted above, which allowed me into the login page... then logged in but was given the error message... then went back to yahoo main page, and managed to click on a specific mail in the preview pane which got me in... not ideal, but at least I checked my mail!

OP
B
Reaction score
please help!

Right, this is getting silly now. facebook.com has just joined myspace.com, youtube.com and many others in the long list of sites I can't access!! It worked fine a week ago, now I get the "cannot connect to server" message. Also, I can't use a proxy with facebook as it uses a secure server for the login. If anyone has any ideas of what to try, please help!

thanks!

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Right, this is getting silly now. facebook.com has just joined myspace.com, youtube.com and many others in the long list of sites I can't access!! It worked fine a week ago, now I get the "cannot connect to server" message. Also, I can't use a proxy with facebook as it uses a secure server for the login. If anyone has any ideas of what to try, please help!

thanks!

You aren't, by any chance, trying to connect to these sites from work or from a university campus are you? The sites you list are often blocked by employees who want you to do some work at work. Yes, even Yahoo mail. A few years ago I worked at a job that blocked all webmail sites (yahoo, hotmail, etc.).

No? Well then, I've no idea. Firefox doesn't have a content advisor that I am aware of. That is a good trick in IE, by the way. Go in to Content Advisor and block all sorts of sites on your buddy's computer. Then you tell him, "You better stop using IE. Use Firefox instead!" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
That was my guess - connecting at work or school. Other than that, I dunno.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.